1988 force 125 hp motor dies

cow320

Cadet
Hi, this past summer i was haveing a issue with my Motor hoping someone could help me diag. it everytime i start the motor and throw into gear (under load), the motor dies, i have to throw into gear really fast then back off the throttle really quick to re-gain control. I dont know what this could be. And this happens 90% of the time. All the advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 force 125 hp motor dies

Hi Cow

Don't have a cow man;-) Follow the link and sync sticky on the front page. Probably idle too low, but better to follow the link and sync anyways so that you get the timing done as well. ;-)

If this does not work, maybe a small background ( never did it before, always did it to me) was there an event that made it do it ( I hit bottom, it overheated) etc. If the link and sync does not work, check compression and let us know if anything happened like the above.

Just quietly, I am pretty sure that the link and sync will set you right;-)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Force engine are notorious for stalling and hard starting due to fouled plugs. When I come across someone on the water having a starting problem the FIRST thing I do is give them clean plugs. SO: before you do any adjusting, pull all four plugs and clean them well with a green Skotchbrite pad or buy new ones. Reinstall and see if that helps the problem. Carry a spare set of new or clean plugs and a plug wrench on board at all times. It is a five minute job to replace all four plugs and you are running again.

Just for your info: The ignition system on your engine delivers its lowest spark voltage at cranking and idle speeds and a really hot spark at higher RPM. Therefore, if you can get the engine running at high RPM, it will fire through fouled plugs and run normally. That is why you can start it at high idle and slam it into gear to keep it running.

Jiggz

Captain

If cleaning the spark plugs doesn't solve your problem, check your idle RPM in neutral (on water) and make sure it is about 1000~1100RPM. If not check the sticky post on link and synch for adjusting the RPM. Be mindful of misfiring, most of the time the reason the idle rpm went down is because the engine is misfiring or at least not firing on all cylinders. You need to resolve the misfiring before adjusting.