Shifter/thottle cable

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Two questions:
Since I need a throttle cable I should replace the shifter cable too. Are they both the same? (CCX633??)
The second question, Rather than pull my boat out of storage, is there a standard length for an 18 foot fish/ski boat with the control box on the starboard side? I'm guessing i need 15 feet.

Bow seats_0012A.jpg
Boat pics_0001AB.jpg

Thanks,
Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shifter/thottle cable

Throttle and shift cables are the same with (in the case of non-Mercury Force engines) different ends screwed onto the cable at the engine end. They are sold singly (without ends) so if there is no problem with the shift cable it does not need to be replaced. Why spend an extra 30 bucks for nothing? If however, you do see cracks in the outer sheath, it most ceertainly will be rusting inside and will eventually jam tight. In this case it makes sense to replace it too.

I think Mercury type cables are completely identical.

There is no standard length and you would best remove the throttle cable and measure it. You can also measure from the control box to the transom, then across to the center of the engine, then into the engine itself where the cables connect. Add about 3 feet for a loop in the splashwell and round up to the nearest foot. With these control cables it is better to be too long that too short as too sharp a bend will cause them to bind.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The cable's 25 years old. You want to fix it twice??
I replaced all 4 of mine after trying to cheap it!!! Fixed income!.
My cables cost $87for all 4.
The cable you have will have a number stammped in it somewhere.Close to one end.
That will be in feet maybe inches.
Too long is better than too short.
Go look at the cable and get the right one.
Remember the turns on the fittings. Replace one at a time.
Make sure it works cause it can be a bummer if not adjusted right.
My buddy offered to help change them out.
Unfortunatly he's not the mechanic he thinks!!!.He had to do it 3 times.
I ended up redoing everything. Should have done it myself the first time.
So take your time.Take pics.J

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

My intinal problem was that I wan't able to bring my engine speed down to idle. After futher inspection I saw that the throttle cable was smashed in one area. See pic below. Notice the bottom cable.
Control cables_0004A.jpg
After measuring the boat and adding 3 feet, I got 15 feet. I order Teleflex 3300. With shipping and tax it came to $43.

I also noticed that the throttle/shifter bracket is pretty rusted, should I replace it?
Throttle bracket(iPhone)_0002A.jpg

Thanks,
Tom

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You could replace the throttle/shifter bracket but from the picture it looks like it hasn't suffered any major structural damage. If it's OK, just take it off, wire brush it, prime and re-paint.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

On the original. There are numbers stammped in the plastc on one end or the other.
They will tell how long the cable is.
I found a threaded piece of metal, I hooked the ends of the old and new to the piece.
Oh yea remove the rubber and nut. Then just pull them through.
A cable that's too short is way more trouble than a longer one.
If the motor won't idle down? Usually the connector on the end needs adjusting. Some pressure is needed to pull it back.
Bring it down and I'll help:)