just a general question about my force 70 hp

glenner

Seaman Apprentice
just waiting for the bottom plate gasket....then i can remount the powerhead
im always scared of overheating (even though i tested the thermostat), what about just removing it alltogether?
i am going to install a tell tale off the plug on the head...
any thoughts on the removal of the thermostat?
merry xmas

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Re: just a general question about my force 70 hp

Thank you, Merry Christmas.
It's been my understanding that your motor will run really rough until it reaches normal operating temp without a t-stat. Just drop it into a pot of 140?F water for a few minutes then pull it out with a pair of tongs and see if it opened up. If you're really worried about overheating then make sure your overheat buzzer works and install a temp gauge.

Enigine pics_0002ABC.jpgEnigine pics_0001ABC1.jpgNew gauges_0003A.jpg

Hope this helps,
Tom

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

DON"T remove.
The motors designed to run best at a certain temp.
Too cool and it won't be right.The thermo acts as a restrictor.It can stop water from getting to all the places if it's not there.
Can get air locked on the top cylinder and burn it up???

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you are talking about the stainless plug on top of the head, don't bother. Water pressure from there is before the thermostat and if the thermostat sticks closed, the engine will overheat with plenty of water apparently being delivered.

My opinion is that a "pisser" is overrated. It is a comfort to some to have the telltale saying the water pump is delivering water. And just because Mercury and OMC plus foreign engines NEED them doesn't mean the Force does. How many times will you actually turn around and look at it?

A good temperature gauge in front of you (that you pay attention to) will do you more good. So will a good overheat warning buzzer or light.

In fact, the river I frequent has a power plant that draws cooling water. on really hot summer days when electric demand is very high, the section where the outflow is will sometimes get well over 90 degrees. My engines will overheat with a completely functioning cooling system pumping its full design capacity. So, I simply run into cooler water as fast as possible--and try not to drop the skier LOL