Adding Power from one Chrysler to another Chrysler

Hi Guys,

I have an older 90HP Chrysler that I got for parts. I have a good 75HP with only 150 fresh water hours on it but no power trim. I want to take the power trim from the 90HP and put it on the 75HP.

It looks like a reasonably easy swap but I've learned that most things that look easy, generally aren't.

Can anyone give me some advice before I start.

Also, how would I wire it? The trim has a black, blue & green wires. I've tested the trim and it works fine - a 2 stage system.

Thanks fellas,

Grant Dempsey
Sydney

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding Power from one Chrysler to another Chrysler

103_6273.jpg103_6274.jpg103_6275.jpg

The trim from any three or four cylinder Chrysler is swappable to any other three or four cylinder Chrysler. The trick is in getting it off one engine. The lower bar frequently corrodes tight into the transom clamps and the upper bar will usually be rusted to the shock and tilt cylinder along with being corroded tight into the pivot yoke. Although it may seem like a lot more work, sometimes turns out easier to simply swap the complete assembly of yoke, transom clamps and tilt/trim onto the new engine.

However, obviously, the first step would be to remove the large nuts (or circlips) from the lower bar and see if it is possible to hammer it out of the transom clamps.

As far as wiring, the easiest way is to connect the black wire directly to the battery ground. Run a separate red 10 gauge wire fused or circuit breaker at 30 amps to the dashboard switch. Green wire is down and connects to the top terminal, Blue wire is up and connects to the bottom terminal while red is in the center.

It is more complex to wire in relays and not too difficult. It is a safer system since only signal voltage is used at the dash.

It is long to describe and a few posts were written in the past. Search them for wiring instructions. This is a three wire trim system converted to relay operation. Note that the RELAT signal ground is connected BUT the POWER ground is not used and (in this case ) covered with shrink tubing to insulate it. You could completely remove the wires from the relay socket or clip them flush with it.

The center relay is just an extra I carry in case one fails out on the water.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adding Power from one Chrysler to another Chrysler

one of the wreckers in Sydney should be able to find a Chrysler switch with the original faceplate,
switch is a 3 position spring loaded type with 3 contact screws