Chrysler 85 NO POWER..HELP!!

catfish1981

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 84 Chrysler 85. Carb kits new. I looked at the sticky about syncing timing and carbs. got all of that right. New impeller, New fluids, (fluids were not milky when changed) and good compression. Also new plugs. I just got the motor and put it on my boat. I cant even get enough power to raise the front up. top speed maybe 15 mph. I have a 18 ft. fiberglass Ebbtide. What could be causing it not to have power?? I did notice a adjustment with a lock nut under the flywheel. I turned it a time or 2 and it got a little better but not much at all. Also there are 3 carbs and each carb has a small gold screw. They are tightened all the way up. Is that a carb adjustment or should I leave that alone? It has no air adjustments on the carbs. Thanks for ANY tips you could give me.:confused:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 85 NO POWER..HELP!!

The small gold screws you described are actually brass. They are the idle mixture screws. If they are screwed in tight, then you did not understand and did not follow correctly the sticky. These screws should be started at about 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Lightly means they should not be driven home tight. This will damage either the needles or the aluminum casting into which they are screwed.

Now, if the engine starts and runs with them seated, then there is something else incorrectly adjusted with the carbs.

The adjustment with the locknut is timing advance AND if you mess with that without using a timing light, you are begging for trouble.

At this point consider that everything that could be out of adjustment IS out of adjustment. Do not run the engine until you set it back to specs. You are flirting with damaging the engine to the point of needing a rebuild.

Buy or borrow the timing light, follow the sticky, and definitely buy a repair manual.

Please do not tell us compression is "GOOD" Recheck it on all three cylinders and give us actual numbers.

I would expect that engine to run your boat on plane but really, about 25-27 MPH is all you can expect.

catfish1981

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Chrysler 85 NO POWER..HELP!!

Frank. What happend is that I changed the motor from that 1981 140 to the 1984 85 horse. before cranking it, I went through and read your sticky and synced the timing and carbs, BUT there were no air adjustment screws like on the 140...thats why I mentioned the brass screws. they were screwed all of the wayin when I got the motor. I did not adjust the brass screws though because I was not familiar with them. the timing advance blocks were about 3/4" or a little more apart so I did adjust it to 1/2" apart like most are supposed to be. I will re adjust everything and now that I know what the brass screwsare, I can adjust them as well. Ill check the stickies again on the timing advance for the chrysler 85 and go from there. Frank. You are one knowledgable dude on these chrysler motors. dont worry. I wont have a piston meltdown..lol...those brass screws were tight when I got the motor tho. they were seated hard. Also on the top brass air screw, then you back it out, the vibration of the motor turns it?? There are no more adjustment screws on the carbs. Also just found out that of the 3 cylenders, the #3 plug makes no difference in the running of the engine when I pull it off. Its getting fire and the plug is good. the other 2 make a difference. I really want to get this boat going to take my kids out catfishing while there still young..lol. any more sugestions? oh and 140 PSI compression on all cylenders. Thanks again so much. ABSOLUTLY the best forum for boating on the net and its because of you guys!