Force control box question

hotdiggitydog

Recruit
First time Force owner here. I replaced my Suzuki DT 75 with an '88 Force 85 hp. I know I can't use my Suzuki control box, because it "pulls" instead of "pushes" the control cables - the opposite of what I've found is needed with the Force because the Force needs the cable sheath to move instead of the ends, which are anchored. Anyway, can anyone put me on to the correct control box model?

Thanks from a newbie....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force control box question

You can use a Chrysler or US Marine control box. You can use a box with integral trim/tilt or you can use a plain box and use a separate T/T switch on the dash. Chrysler made a surface mount and a hidden box with just the handle and a plate showing. US Marine made at least two different boxes and also a hidden one. Personally, I prefer the hidden controls. All cables are behind the side and there is only one small hole to drill. Surface mount have the cable running outside for a bit and, of course, the control is bulky.

I always thought that Chrysler/Force used a goofy contol system. The cable sheath is anchored inside the control box and the cable itself is moved. At the engine end, the cable is anchored and the sheath moves-- Oh, well, that was the 60s and 70s and everyone was smoking or dropping acid.

Do not get confused though: When Merc changed controls to Merc system, around '94, those control boxes and cables, although on a Force, are not adaptable to earlier Force engines.

However, before you go discarding your Suzy control box, check the internal attachments. You may very well be able to adapt it. I could not tell you for sure, because I have not yet opened a Suzy control box.