1988 force 125 hp loss spark in ALL cylinders

kevinbarfield

Recruit
Hello all and thank you in advanced for any help here! Motor was running perfect except a leaky bowl on top carburetor. replaced gasket and bowl stopped leaking and now out of the blue, it has 0 fire on any cylinders. Strangest thing. I know the carb repair has nothing to do with it. The starter was dragging and I replaced it with another spare I had. Turns over fast and normal but no spark in any cylinder? I have traced back wiring to make sure the kill switch isn't defective. Im confused. HELP PLEASE!!!

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1988 force 125 hp loss spark in ALL cylinders

Go to the engine terminal board and disconnect the two white wires from the CD Mods that connects to the kill ckt. This will insure the kill ckt is not the caused of the problem. Try again and repost.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Also check to make sure the strip magnet on the inner circumference of the flywheel hasn't come unglued and is stuck to the stator. If it's OK you can check the resistance of the stator itself with an OHM meter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Outboard ignition , com or CDI ignition has test procedures for the electrical problems.

kevinbarfield

Recruit

Okeedokee, removed the flywheel and found the bug magnet loose and the metal rings that surround the center magnets that ride inside the trigger are a bit bent? I cleaned the mating surfaces of the larger magnet and epoxy it back. Now I have spark on bottom 2 cylinders. Now what?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

As long as the magnets themselves and the metal ring that they sit in are basically intact, it'll probably be OK.

No spark on the top two cylinders, which are cylinders 1 and 2, could be bad stator winding, bad CD module, two bad ignition coils (unlikely), bad trigger, or a wiring problem. Jerry up in post #4 mentioned two good sites to trouble-shoot these types of problems. You could also switch the two CD modules around and see if the problem moves. A word of caution...the wire colors of the CD modules are identical, but they go on different terminals depending on which set of coils they drive. Be very careful about marking the wires when you take them off. Seen many a time where a bigger problem gets created by not getting the wiring correct after moving the CD Modules around.

I would start with the easy less complicated things like checking the stator winding resistance, the trigger winding resistance before switching the CD Modules. Also check the ground wire that goes from the coil/CD Module mounting plate to the engine block.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take the wheel off again and clean it again.
The small magnets mounting? Just tap them back down.
Check all connector ends.I replace all the connectors EVERYTIME I work on anything.
They can look and feel good but can be broken under the shrinkwrap.

One of my motors just quit.Changed the stator with a (good)one?? New problems, changed all the wire connections and then NO prob.