Steering froze on 1993 90hp Force....

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To add to the list of woes with my 1993 90-hp Force outboard, the steering appears to be frozen after sitting for over a month. I had greased up the steering column earlier in the season and its hadn't been a problem, though I was using the boat several times a week when it was running. I am trying to trouble shoot the steering to figure out where it is frozen. This is what I tried so far:
1) I had my buddy turn the wheel while I gave the outboard some physical encouragement and motor did not budge
2) Hit the steering column with liquid wrench and repeated #1 without anymore luck
3) I tried disconnecting the steering cable from the motor itself, and I still could not turn the motor or the steering wheel; however after unscrewing the cable nut, I could hardly pull it away from the steering column on the motor due to the pressure/angle that the cable meets it.

Not really sure how to proceed next. Though the steering wheel appears to have some play in it now, is there any troubleshooting that I can do on the steering column on the wheel?

Thanks,
Mitch B.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering froze on 1993 90hp Force....

Disconnect cable from helm.

Disconnect and remove cable from motor.

It is either the steering hub, the cable, or the motor.

Or if there is a black cloud over you, it could be all three. :eek: :eek:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Only a month??
If you have removed the steering from the motor and it still won't turn??
Then you have a problem with the king pin seizing.
A rubber hammer, a small propane torch and some PB Blaster or WD-40.
The steering cable, spray with PB and then some heat. Then apply pressure and then repeat.
Adding grease there? Not yet.
Then undo the big nut, then spray PB and clean the steering cable, turn the wheel and spray and clean again and again.
If possible you might get the cable out, then a tube brush will help clean out the tilt tube.
If it won't come out then maybe cut the hole a bit bigger, or remove the motor(big job).
The king pin, undo the steering cable. Then apply heat to the entire area.
The KP has a bushing at the top and the bottom. Also the KP has 1 grease fitting. Don't add grease yet!
If you add grease it can make the fitting pop out and then you have to re drill and fit another.
Get it good and hot, not hot enough to melt the bushings, after heat try turning the motor. It might take a bit of pressure.
After it moves then add grease. Get a GOOD marine grease, I use white lithium grease.
Sometimes the fitting is already gone. Then I blow it out with compressed air and add oil.
It thins out the grease and makes it easier to turn.
After it's greased and turning, add grease till all the old is gone.

Then keep up on it. I use 30wt motor oil, WD-40 to lube the steering.
Grease just dries out, use something thin, I also use a spray white lithium grease.

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I will take your suggestions and let you know how I make out. Where/how do I apply heat in the case without damaging the steering?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

On the steering tube. Or the king pin area where the grease fitting is.