96 - 120 force water pump installation

keith1000

Cadet
Hi guys

I have another thread going about low water pressure but have another question based on the same topic but felt it necessary to just start a new thread.

I installed a new water pump based on my overheat alarm coming on the other day. But before i actually did anything i watched a few you tube videos on doing this repair myself as i am prety handy. In these couple you tube links im including the guys cap the water pump with a part called a "top seal". Well the kit i bought for the repair 46-43024A 7 did not include this part, and there is no sign that the old water pump had one either. is this a necessary part to help with the water pump pressure? is there to much water passing through the shaft? As of now i have reinstalled the lower end with out it.

please let me know if this part is really important or not and i will purchase one and install it, and why would the kit come without it?

thanks Keith

check at 6min 45sec, its not exactly a "Force" but it is a Merc and the exact same pump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQNhFYFvdQ

check at 6min 15sec. again same pump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtJXv2GqhYM&feature=related

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 - 120 force water pump installation

Yes you will lose some pressure if no top seal is used.

Have used a thick o-ring in place of the seal.

keith1000

Cadet
Re: 96 - 120 force water pump installation

wow. 126 visits and one reply, and thanks for that Roscoe.
Is it that everyone just agrees with Roscoe and leave it at that? knowbody has any other input especially the point of why the seal is not included in the kit?
Well for what its worth the shop where i boght the kit doesnt really understand why its not in the kit either and suggests that maybe its not necessary to install it? either way of the correct proceedure or not he gave me a seal for nothing. so i will install it on the weekend.
Thanks
Keith