Replace 1996 Force 120 HP with ???

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat's Force 120 HP isn't seeing another dime in repairs. It's getting replaced.

From your view, should I replace with:

A - 1996 Evinrude 115

B - early 1990s Mercury 115

Just wondering which has better market repuation (assuming stock length is the same).

thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replace 1996 Force 120 HP with ???

P-TOOIE! Spit twice and die. Shame on you: Mentioning those other brands here.

Seriously, either will do, neither has a particularly bad reputation and either will most likely perform slightly better than the Force. However: Go look at the repair forums for both. Lots of posts there. There is a good chance that you will have problems with them too.

diczazter

Recruit

P-TOOIE! Spit twice and die. Shame on you: Mentioning those other brands here.

Seriously, either will do, neither has a particularly bad reputation and either will most likely perform slightly better than the Force. However: Go look at the repair forums for both. Lots of posts there. There is a good chance that you will have problems with them too.

if i were you i would continue to repair it as the expence you have in it will be lost and who knows about the next engine i have had 6 force engines from 85 to 89 to 95, 96 ,97 125's 50's 120's very easy to work on yourself,(with patients) and the parts are available either new with updated part numbers or used on ebay and you shop arround and can get good deals surely you haven't got too much in the engine 500-1000 and a new one would cost 5-10 thousand and a used one about 2-4 thousand you know what is good on this one so to re do all of it parts wise for new reconditioned items with a garentee would only cost you at most 4000 on a 120 model of the late 90's im a firm beliver in if you want it done right do it yourself and learn abit about the mechanics and maintenanceof your engine

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It depends?? The new motors??
Fuel injected? Carbed? What's wrong with the Force?
Then the cost ?Salt water?
Profile? Location? Have a mechanic check it over before U buy.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll help you rid yourself of that 120. Just give it to me and I will find the proper place for it. Look, all outboards, whatever make, will need repairs and preventive maintenance. The amount of time you have spent working with/on the Force gives you a irreplaceable intimate relationship with it. You should know its quirks and its limitations by now. By replacing it, you're just finding a new headache to learn and master. IMO, Force motors are very simple in operation and easy to work on.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your feedback...

If wondering, I've installed 2 x carb kits, 1 x fuel pump kit, install new fuel / water separator, installed new gas lines, installed new fuel filter, installed CCMS Reed valves and de-carbed its Force 120 engine. I got the feeling the previous owner did `none to nothing` maintenance on its OB motor. Motor now runs good but the odd time above 4,500, it seems to randomly "cut out" (like 1 x random NO fire now and then). Could be bad gas (at bottom of tank I couldn't drain out) or could be bad ignition. As other suggested, I'm running the Force 120 until the motor blows. Or, until I find its cutting out problem. On a good note, it seems to cut-out less and less - each time I take it out. Perhaps it simply needs a few "good runs".... Only time will tell...

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just like any motor, it needs exercised or it will decide to break.

Unfortunately Force motors were put on the entry level, 1st time buyer boats and as such minimal preventive maintenance and upkeep was given to the poor things. This is why, I believe, they have such a bad reputation.