1995 Force 70/Bayliner 1600 - stuck steering - nightmare continues.

nparry

Cadet
So, being a complete greenhorn, I didn't know that the steering wheel having almost no play in it/not moving was an issue. I foolishly likened it to a car steering wheel that does not turn when the car is not running. It's only after becoming much more familiar with boats and components and some reading that I realize my steering is stuck.

1) Can anyone suggest, to the rookie, how to perform any checks/maintenance/tests that can allow me to isolate the problem? (cable, tube, etc)

2) I suspect this will be an expensive fix. Would you guys suggest this is something I take on myself, or that a shop do it? (I'm mechanically able, but learning as I go - no experience with boat steering)

3) Can someone wake me up from this nightmare?

For those keeping score - This is: Bad ignition, (no spark, unresolved) Bad trim motor (replaced by me, resolved) and now a bad steering system. All on a boat I was told was water ready and has not seen the water since I purchased it a few months ago. None of these issues were disclosed to me. I was told I could put it int he water the next day and use it - so, given that the steering was stuck, I think you'd understand that I feel that, not only have I been ripped off, the safety of me and my family has been jeopardized too by suggesting we launch a boat with no steering. (And have sunk over $600 into already on just parts).

I'm taking the boat to a shop tomorrow to diagnose the ignition problem. If they fix that, and have to replace the steering system, I'm looking at big bucks. I'm not sure what my rights are as a consumer, but this boat was clearly not close to water ready.

Anyway....rant over....always interested in your thoughts.

nparry

Cadet
Re: 1995 Force 70/Bayliner 1600 - stuck steering - nightmare continues.

Follow up - In case this info is valuable in helping me - I just undid the nuts on either side of the tilt tube, and can now turn the wheel. As I turn the wheel, the steering cable is coming out from inside the trim tube. It is coated in a brownish yellow grease

Jiggz

Captain

Most steering systems are rack and pinion type directly connected to the steering shaft. Although others uses the rotary steering system. Look under the dash to find out which type you got. The rack & pinion is very easy to tell because of it long rectangular body while the rotary is more of a compact square unit. From the steering shaft it connects to a cable connected to the steering tube. Disconnect the steering tube from the motor's tiller rods. The steering should easily turn in either direction with very minimal effort.

If the cable rod will not move out or in of the steering tube (the mounted unit on the mounting bracket of the engine) loosen up the tube nut and back it off so you can shoot some WD-40 into the tube. If the problem persists, then the problem is in the rack and pinion or rotary steering unit. The rack and pinion type has an open end cover with a rubber boot. Shoot it with WD 40 to see if things will improve. If things do not improve, you will have to take down the rack and pinion to do a visual inspection. If you have the rotary type, it'll be better you take it out and do a visual inspection. Here's what a rack & pinion system looks like:

http://www.********.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Teleflex-No-Feedback-Single-Cable-Rack-Pinion-Steering-System-SS151&i=22792&r=view&aID=601P1&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3232373932&s_kwcid=goobasecontent_goobasecontent_filler&cID=SHOPPING_22792

Jiggz

Captain

Follow up - In case this info is valuable in helping me - I just undid the nuts on either side of the tilt tube, and can now turn the wheel. As I turn the wheel, the steering cable is coming out from inside the trim tube. It is coated in a brownish yellow grease

It's either the nut on the tube is too tight or the old grease had frozen and becomes a liability rather than help. You can flush the old grease with some type of kerosene based leaner like brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Then shoot it with new water proof type bearing grease.

foodfisher

Captain

Disconnect the cable from the engine. If the wheel is free it's the engine. Could be the the steering tube or the king pin. Both can be repaired/fixed with enough want to.

nparry

Cadet

Thanks guys,

Jiggz - it's rack and pinion steering.

I think what I'm experiencing is exactly that - gunked up grease in the tilt tube/sleeve. If I can figure out how to get the cable out of the sleeve, I'll clean it up and try that....

Jiggz

Captain

I'm not sure about your particular engine, but mine has a grease zerk fitting. If you have one, remove it for now and shoot it with brake cleaner while having a partner rotate the steering wheel back and forth! This will dissolve and push out the old grease.Then replace it with new grease.