STILL having ignition problems. (Force 70 - 1995)

nparry

Cadet
A brief backstory......

After having a "no spark" condition with my outboard, I replaced the switchbox. I was sure I saw a spark when I tested after completing this task. However, on the same day, my power trim no longer worked. I ultimately replaced the trim motor with the help of this forum, and that now works great. However, I apparently have no spark again. After fixing the trim, I took the boat to the water and it would not fire. I returned home, and tested for spark again, and saw none. While testing, I had my girlfriend turn the key/crank the motor while I watched for a spark. The 2nd time she did this, nothing happened at all. The engine did not even turn over or crank. Just silence. I disconnected and reconnected the battery, and now the engine cranks again, but does not fire.

This made me wonder if my issue was with some safety mechanism on the engine? I just don't know. All new plugs, new switchbox, charged battery, clean terminals, and no fire.

I'm rapidly losing patience as all I've done to this boat so far is work on it. (It was supposed to be water-ready. clearly it wasn't). I'm not sure what to try next, other than throwing in the towel and taking it for an expensive ride to the shop - but I'd be willing to try a few more things if you guys have any suggestions. Personally, I'm out of ideas.

Kind regards as always,

-N.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: STILL having ignition problems. (Force 70 - 1995)

First things first. Check the "Kill switch" make sure it is not activated. This could be referred to also as stop switch, emergency stop switch or the lanyard switch. Second, use a spark tester to check for sparks. DO NOT USE THE OLD FASHION arc over to ground because this can blow your ignition pack or switch box which is a very expensive replacement. After turning the key and nothing happens always check the neutral switch make sure it is properly set. This is located in the engine area.

If there's still no spark, check voltage (Vac) from the blue and red wires coming off the stator to ground. These two wires feed power to the switch box. The nominal voltage should be around 150Vac. The resistance between these two wires is around 75~90 ohms. If the resistance value is correct, then check the trigger output between the two sets of wires (brown & white and violet & wh/blk). There should be 4 Vac from each set of wires.

Sometime usual cause of problems with this ignition system is dirty connectors in the switch box. You might want to clean them thoroughly or do what other do replace them with better type connects or use a terminal board.

nparry

Cadet

Jiggz, thanks for responding....

When you say check the kill switch - I know it's set to "Run", but are you suggesting to check it further, as in connections, wiring, etc? If so, can you be more specific about what I need to look for?

I'll go check the status of the stator wires, I appreciate the info here....

The switchbox is brand new, so I don't suspect dirty connections.

Jiggz

Captain

If it's already set to "Run" then disconnect the "black/Yellow" wire from the module or swtichbox just to make sure it's not the "kill" circuit that is causing the lack of sparks. If the problem persists, then it's time to check for stator and trigger voltages. Are you working with a wiring diagram while doing this? If not you will need one.