1988 force /chrysler 125 hp exhaust boot

skippjack

Cadet
Hey guys, after fishing the other day when i was at the dock I wanted to make a carb adjustment. Pulled off cover an I noticed water in the leg. It was very rough and I took a couple of good shots to the stern and I'm wondering if some water may have gotten thru the cover. Once trailered water drained out as when i got home to flush motor it was dry.
Put it on the muffs and I saw a drip or 2 from exhaust boot on motor leg side. feels a little loose when you move that side of the boot. Question, how does it connect on that side to the outlet holes. it's clamped on the other side. Can it be sealed with silicone or something? It does not seem ripped anywhere just some dripping from the end. Also, looks like a pretty easy fix to replace boot just by reaching in there. maybe little tight, but not sure of how it connects on the non-clamped side. Any suggestions from the experts here?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 force /chrysler 125 hp exhaust boot

The exhaust boot is clamped to the leg. Inside the boot is a spring and a plastic grommet. The plastic grommet is at the rear shroud end. The combination of spring and plastic pushes the rubber boot taper into the seat on the rear shroud.

The plastic may have melted some from heat or the boot may have a crack in it. However, if exhaust gases are not causing the engine to run rough with the cover on and the water is only a little, leave it alone

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like Frank said.
The pressure from the spring keeps it in place.
Sillycone won't help as the inside housing actually moves.
It fits inside a groove on the rear cowl.

My port motor I just replaced the powerhead.
Somewhere along the way the sealing surface got scored.
It leaks a tiny bit.
Not enough to worry about.

The housing is in the water deep enough to get water in it.
It's supposed to self drain.

skippjack

Cadet

Thanks guys,I saw no exhaust smoke under the cover while running on the muffs. I guess i'll just keep an eye on it and leave it alone for now. Thanks again. Also, I was wondering if anyone could give me the proper procedure for checking the timing on these motors. I have an old timing light that works but not sure how to check it. I think it may be off a little not much because engine runs pretty good., but I notice at steerage speed and may a little above it seems to have a vibration in the boat that I can feel. I don't think it was there before.
Also seems a little throaty as you power up but once it hits a certain point it cleans right up and takes off and planes right out with no hesitation. Carbs are adjusted a little under 1 1/2 turns. rpm about 1000 to 1100 at idle on muffs.

emoney

Commander

Take a good gander at your prop too, as that vibration could be coming from there, btw. The smart guys will answer the timing question.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There was a post on doing static timing.
But someone didn't like it so they removed it!!
Get a factory manual,
Or try here.http://rapidshare.com/files/453372553/Force_Outboards_1984-99.pdf
It's an aftermarket manual but if you read it you might be able to get enough info on static timing.

Just remember to ground out the plug wires or you can blow the packs.

If you didn't touch the timing they usually don't go un-timed??