No spark on my 79 Chrysler outboard

Dale Leeder

Recruit
Can anyone help I have a 1979 70hp Chrysler outboard it turns ova great but have no spark . Checked all the wiring and the Cdi is holding charge I do be leave as I tested it with a volt meter . Has new plugs ect . But as its a electronic points there is no way to set it up and craymers book don't say much as its for the old points . Please someone help

Dale Leeder

Recruit
Re: No spark on my 79 Chrysler outboard

Thanks but the other thing is I think it's a magnapower 2 but has the wiring for the breakerless electronic ignition . Looked at the part number on the back on it but did not match to the part number in the book . I'm so lost lol

Dale Leeder

Recruit

The Model number of Cdi 6cb2012 is this different due to the outboard was shipped in to the uk ?

Dale Leeder

Recruit

Fixed the problem someone who had it before me screwed the blue wire onto the green wire in the terminal block . I think it's because over the years the wire has been discoloured and turned green . So problem sorted I now have spark ;@)

emoney

Commander

Great news. Thanks for updating and sorry nobody got back in time, but it sounds like you didn't need it anyway, lol. That's a good point about wires discoloring over the years. I always hear JerryJerry05 remind people to inspect their wiring and that's good advice. Sometimes it's the little things that create the biggest problems. Stick around and visit a while. THe forum is also great for all kinds of things boating related.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it says Magna-Power II on the cover but it has a distributor, that means the original ignition failed (as they were prone to do) and was retro-fit with breakerless electronic distributor and Motorola Cd ignition. This ignition needs TWO sources of power. Blue comes from the (I) or (A) terminal on the ignition switch and is power to the CD electronics. It is only on with the switch in the start or run position.

The red wire to the CD box powers the capacitors inside the unit and is always on when the battery is hooked up. If you let the engine sit a couple of days with the battery terminals detached, when you reattach them you will get a spark as the capacitors recharge.

The electronic distributor (electric eye) will also be powered by a blue wire. The white and black wire is signal to the CD box. If you only have one wire from the distributor, that is a points distributor and points are set at .014(inch) open.

Points and electric eye actually work differently but either can be used on any Motorola CD unit. Points ground the switching transistor when closed. The electric eye sends a voltage to the same transistor. Either one causes the trtansistor to "Dump" capacitors into the coil.

Dale Leeder

Recruit

Thanks people and yes it's a good point always check the wiring . The funny thing is I checked them so many times to see if there was a break in them lol . But the reason why I went back to check them was because the ignition barrel was getting hot and it kept tripping out . But like I said I solved the problem and soon knew about it as I got a electric shock from the spark plug and yes I was holding it lol . But please people check wiring first . And thanks great forum .