1977 Chrysler 115 HP steering cable question......

crystal65

Recruit
Hey guys!

I need to replace the steering cable, but not sure how to go about finding the correct cable. The motor is a 1977 Chrylser 115 HP and I am quite sure I will have to get some type of universal cable......pretty much thinking the exact cable will be obsolete. Any ideas about how to go about finding the cable I need? I am not sure if there is an exact part number or where I would find it.......any help would be MUCH appreciated!

crystal65

Recruit
Re: 1977 Chrysler 115 HP steering cable question......

Also wanted to add that I have read the archived info that I could find. Probably going to have to replace the cable and the helm gear assembly.....just need a little help making sure that I find the correct one since I will most likely have to go with ordering online.....no marine shops around this are that are much help.

emoney

Commander

Post a picture of where the cable meets the motor. This steering cable is all predicated on what type you have, i.e. "Rack", "Rotary", etc. etc. You can also post a picture of your helm, behind the dash at your steering wheel for help. If you look here on iboats at "Teleflex Steering Systems" you'll find what you need. Teleflex also shows how to measure for the correct length, if the cable isn't stamped. Odds are, you have a rack-type system with a tilt/steering tube at the motor (the cable goes through a tube where the motor pivots/tilts). They are "long" at the helm end. Or, you have the rotary at the helm, but a similar looking set-up at the motor.

emoney

Commander

In essence, Chrysler didn't make the steering system, the boat manufacturer set that up. Odds are high it's been changed since the motor is a '77 model. Cables don't usually last that long.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pics of the stuff you have.
Under the dash too.
Some place on the cable,the length is engraved or burned into it.
Could be in inches or feet.
The type is not as important as the length.
If you have a rotary,it can be changed to a rack and pinion or vise-versa.
The room under the dash is important.
Rack and pinion might not fit.

I have an almost new one,complete 1/2 price.17ft.

Post some pics of the mounting brackets and under the dash?

crystal65

Recruit

Pics of the stuff you have.
Under the dash too.
Some place on the cable,the length is engraved or burned into it.
Could be in inches or feet.
The type is not as important as the length.
If you have a rotary,it can be changed to a rack and pinion or vise-versa.
The room under the dash is important.
Rack and pinion might not fit.

I have an almost new one,complete 1/2 price.17ft.

Post some pics of the mounting brackets and under the dash?

Yes, thanks! I will get those pics later today and get them posted.
(BTW, the boat is a 1977 Raycraft)
I appreciate the info and help......

crystal65

Recruit

Been raining...still can't get decent pics.
What I know now though is.....I need a 12' cable and that's with a little extra play. The gear is in the box under the steering and hubby has to remove rivets to get inside...but being that I could go with either type, as long as it fits....I am thinking it doesn't matter....

am I on the right track? lol feeling a bit :eek: making sure I get all the right info

crystal65

Recruit

Post a picture of where the cable meets the motor. This steering cable is all predicated on what type you have, i.e. "Rack", "Rotary", etc. etc. You can also post a picture of your helm, behind the dash at your steering wheel for help. If you look here on iboats at "Teleflex Steering Systems" you'll find what you need. Teleflex also shows how to measure for the correct length, if the cable isn't stamped. Odds are, you have a rack-type system with a tilt/steering tube at the motor (the cable goes through a tube where the motor pivots/tilts). They are "long" at the helm end. Or, you have the rotary at the helm, but a similar looking set-up at the motor.

Everything at the help is encased in a smaller box...so I have to egt into that to find out...but from what I am reading, I am thinking rotary....and yes, tube at the motor and it has been taped up like you wouldn't believe...so I am thinking the personbefore me had rigged it. I barely had it in the water half dozen times before this happened......so I am ready to get her all fixed up :)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

12 ft is way smaller than I have.
You need to match it to what you have.
Too long is as bad as too short.