1990 Bayliner with 90 hp force l drive dies when wake catches boat when slowing down

Ndarkow

Cadet
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this happening. I have a 90 bayliner with a 90 force l drive, boat runs fine but when I shift to go slower and eventually all the way down it kind of stalls out as the wake catches the back of the boat. I don't know if there is an exhaust baffle that is supposed to have a one way valve on it. I had the lower unit apart and couldn't see past the exhaust snout. Kinda a pain in the butt if pulling a tuber and I have to decelerate quickly. Im guessing that water is getting to the exhaust and choking it out. It doesnt exhaust thru the hub if that helps

Thanks Nathan

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1990 Bayliner with 90 hp force l drive dies when wake catches boat when slowing d

Sounds like your idle speed is too low.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Bayliner with 90 hp force l drive dies when wake catches boat when slowing d

Actually I have read of the same problem, stall upon hitting a wake,
Read it here on iboats, pretty sure it was an L drive too.

Sorry, don't know what they figured it out, or what they did to fix it.

Ndarkow

Cadet

It idles on the muffs about 1100 under load between 750 and 850 so I don't think the idle speed is the problem, I have already messed with that enough. The thing I noticed now that I think about it is that when I bring the throttle back it really dies quick, so maybe it isn't the wake and its more the motor choking out. I have tried to search for something similar but in general terms its hard to search. Each person might describe the problem differently than mine. Ill keep looking

foodfisher

Captain

FAQ at the top of this forum. Try the synch carbs and timing sticky. Link and synch.