87 Force 50hp Powerhead

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am in desperate need to remove my powerhead. I have everything disconnected but there are two nuts one on each side starboard and port that go in to the powerhead base plate from the outside of the middle cowling. I can see that they are holding the powerhead but they only spin and move up and down. I have tried pryingn the base plate while turning the nut but the same thing happens. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Is there a special way to remove these nuts or do I have to cut them off? Let me know if you need more information any and all help is always appreciated.
Thanks in advance

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 Force 50hp Powerhead

Post a pic??
You sure all the bolts are loose?
I think there are maybe 8-9 bolts.
The bottom ones can be a stud that you turn out and it just spins?

Prying is a big thing,Make sure you don't scrape the mating surfaces??

If you are sure they are all loose.Then prying is whats left>

emoney

Commander

What's it look like on the inside, toonin? Are you 100% sure the heads of these bolts totally obscured by the powerhead?

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats the problem...There are no heads... I checked a parts lay out and it shows the motor mount with double threaded rods and a nut on one side....I would of already cut them off but its $150 for the pair....Maybe it just needs heat? Or a bigger hammer? What do you think?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You sure that goes into the powerhead??
Those are a shock mount that hold the lower cover on.

They don't hold the head on.
You sure of the year??
I have a pair of the shock mounts(I think)if you need to cut them off.
You need to remove the covers all the way around.

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok Thank you for your help. Going to mess with it later. Thank you again

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On earlier 50 and 55hp's there are 2 bushings that will bind when trying to pull the powerhead. Below the carb there is a plate with 2 bolts, remove the plate. Inside you will see 2 bushings on either side of the opening. They usually are held in place with flat head screws, and on the outside a lock nut. Remove these and the powerhead will come off easy, that is if the design didn't change through the years.