How Can I Adjust The Cavitation Plate On My 1990 150HP Force?

tybouff

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings,

The title says it all. I read somewhere that if your boat wants to cut to either side, you can make some kind of adjustment on the cavitation plate to balance the steering. I can't find any adjusters on my 90' Force. I do have the engine bolted to a jack plate which could raise one side a little higher than the other but an adjustment to the cavitation plate would seem much easier. Anybody know how to do it? Thanks!

emoney

Commander
Re: How Can I Adjust The Cavitation Plate On My 1990 150HP Force?

Cavitation plate doesn't adjust on my '95, it's formed into the gearcase? There is, however, a trim snout on mine, that absolutely affects if my boat pulls to one side or the other. I just had to adjust it thanks to a dock line getting wrapped about the LU. In your case, that may be an exhaust snout? Should be a bolt holding it in place that if you loosen it allows you to turn right or left? Is your boat steering with a lean or is the boat itself leaning? As for the bracket, the motor should be level on the bracket and it should be level to your stern. If it's an "add-on" you can lay a level across the top to verify it's even, just make sure the transom of the boat is level first.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6413.jpg

It is not the cavitation plate but the exhaust snout you adjust (mine is white in this photo). There is a 5/8 head bolt at the front that you loosen. Inside the snout is an allen head bolt that you loosen.

If the boat pulls to the right, move the front of the exhaust snout to the left.

Understand that the adjustment is really only good for one speed and at other speeds the boat will still pull. Also understand that at full trim in (down) Steering will get heavy and the boat will pull to one side. As you trim out (up) steering will get lighter and the boat will pick up speed and RPM until you get too much trim then it will ventilate. Trim down until it locks up again. This wide open throttle and maximum speed is usually where you set the exhaust snout to compensate for pulling.

By the way: Where do you boat up there?

tybouff

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I found the snout and gave it a little tweak to the left since the wheel pulls to the right. Guess I'll have to be happy with it at certain speeds. I boat at Blue Marsh mostly.

emoney

Commander

That's the ticket. Take a wrench with you the next time you go out as it will probably need a little experimentation to get it just right.