85 force butterflies not opening full throttle..

I'm new to the whole boating scene and ive been having this same problem happen to me for the last 3 times ive went out.. So to start.. I think its a 1982 force 85hp bayliner bass pro fishing boat.. Compression in all 3 cylinders is 150.. From what Im gathering from looking at it, is with the motor OFF And i push the throttle down the butterflies in the back of the carbs open to full.. But with the Boat running and you put the throttle down it will die because the carbs are not opening fully.. what could be the cause?? i am thinking its the timing, It idels fine sounds good Picks up speed But wont go full... When i first put it in the water and go out everything works fine... But if you turn it off and let it sit for a bit and then go back out this happens and only way i seem to fix it is by pushing the throttle down very slowly

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 85 force butterflies not opening full throttle..

Howdy, boring.

Welcome to iboats. :)

You need to do a link 'n' synch procedure. . . by the book.

Good luck. :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If the carbs are opening fully when not running, they are opening fully when it is running. Nothing in the linkage changes between static and runnig.

Your problem is that when you go to full throttle, the engine is running out of gas and stalling. You need to remove and clean the carbs, replace the fuel pump gasket and diaphragm, and check the whole fuel system from inside the tank to the carbs for dirt and clogs.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Look at the fuel tank vent??