85hp Force odd wire hanging

iklingenberger

Recruit
Hey guys, I have been chasing a problem with this motor since I got it a few weeks ago. It's a 1986 Force 85hp. Was on my way out to check the reed valves today and noticed this wire hanging with a plug on the end. There are 3 others like it but they're all plugged in and there's no empty end for this one to go into. Here's a picture of the plug

2012-09-01_13-01-06_576.jpg

This is on the right side of the motor just above the fuel pump.

I don't know what those 2 black boxes are but they have a group of 3 wires coming out of the top then down towards the middle they have a red and an orange wire coming out. This is the red wire coming out of the box to the left (actually in the middle of that bracket.

2012-09-01_13-01-19_282.jpg

Nordin

Commander
Re: 85hp Force odd wire hanging

The blackboxes are the CDI ign. boxes. It is for the ignition. Each box can handle 2 cylinders. Yours have 3 cyl. so there is one wire left for a fourth ign.coil for the fourth cyl.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 85hp Force odd wire hanging

I agree with the previous 2 posters. Each box can handle a 2 cylinders. Odd number of cylinders? Then you have left over connectors. Click HERE to see pics of my boat. Click HERE to see the same wire (loose) on my boat.