1981 85 hp chrysler starter broken

anfbogan

Recruit
Hi guys after some help. I live in Australia and have an 1981 85 hp chrysler motor on a boat that i got not long ago from a mate. We have fixed her up as best we can for now and have had many a good fishing session. The problem is the other night when out the starter motor broke.

When we looked the next day the top of the ARMATURE had sheered off so the clucth assembly is getting stuck on the fly wheel as it has nothing to send it back doen now.

As living in Australia i have found it is a pain in the arse to find any places that can help me. Do any of you guys have any ideas on how to fix this or about replacement parts or starters.

Help please

Ant

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1981 85 hp chrysler starter broken

Hi anfbogan

I’m in the same situation as you. I’m from Adelaide and am in the process of sourcing a new starter as well. I have a 1998 75 hp Force. Best I can find from within Aust at the moment is $335.00 delivered for an ARCO starter.

I have looked overseas ( US and ebay) and have found cheaper starters but postage is very expensive. From what I have read on this forum some of the cheaper starters on ebay are not worth spending the money on as they don’t last.

My starter on iboats is $ 220.00 + $105.00 postage.

I’ll be watching this thread hoping someone can recommend a good supplier.

Cheers

TwoFish

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Post a pic of the broken pieces.
I might have what you need.
Send me a PM with your address and I'll check into sending you the part.
A small fee and postage???

Two Fish you can try this too.
I need the model and serial # for your motor.
A pic too.Along with a ruler in it for scale.
Seems they made 2 starters for your motor.
You might have to post the pics here as The PM won't send pics.

bogan

Cadet

Post a pic of the broken pieces.
I might have what you need.
Send me a PM with your address and I'll check into sending you the part.
A small fee and postage???

Two Fish you can try this too.
I need the model and serial # for your motor.
A pic too.Along with a ruler in it for scale.
Seems they made 2 starters for your motor.
You might have to post the pics here as The PM won't send pics.

Wow thanx its night now, but will get a pic tomorrow and post it for you.

We have made a temp fix but will explain that with the pic. Doubt it will last more then a couple of starts.

bogan

Cadet

Two fish, i have been looking too and the best i have seen in Aus for a OEM starter is over $300. And yeah the cost of shipping from the ebay sites is insane. Have you checked out boatnet.com and places like that in the states, The hard part is most wont post to Aus.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guys after some help. I live in Australia and have an 1981 85 hp chrysler motor on a boat that i got not long ago from a mate. We have fixed her up as best we can for now and have had many a good fishing session. The problem is the other night when out the starter motor broke.

When we looked the next day the top of the ARMATURE had sheered off so the clucth assembly is getting stuck on the fly wheel as it has nothing to send it back doen now.

As living in Australia i have found it is a pain in the arse to find any places that can help me. Do any of you guys have any ideas on how to fix this or about replacement parts or starters.

Help please

Ant

if you're after a 2nd hand one there is a bloke near Orange that had a fair bit of Chrysler stuff a few months ago,

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

ANY Chrysler or Force 3, 4, or 5 cylinder starter will fit and work. look for a good used one locally. Only difference is on the lower bracket so if you get an earlier model, get the lower bracket as well. Other than that the positive lead is placed differently but that has no effect on performance. Earlier models have a wound fiels instead of permanent magnets and smaller engines had two wound fields whilr the larger engine high output starter had four wound fields. These can be seen by the screws in the side of the starter.

bogan

Cadet

photo-16.jpg

here is a pic of the model number, will get a pic of the temp fix today.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Bogen the pic is a regulator.
They're talking about starters.
Or did I miss something???

Two fish has a 98 75 hp and didn't know if the Mercury parts/starter was used??

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a photo of my starter if that is of any help.

Attachments

• Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 0

bogan

Cadet

Bogen the pic is a regulator.
They're talking about starters.
Or did I miss something???

Two fish has a 98 75 hp and didn't know if the Mercury parts/starter was used??

HAAAAAAAAA my bad sorry about that will take another pic now

bogan

Cadet

photo-17.jpg

thats the starter
photo-18.jpg

and thats the temp fix we have done.

part number 480955

Model number MKW-4005

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Two Fish i think I have the parts for yours.Put a ruler (prefer inches if possible) next to it.
I have a rebuilt.Can you rebuild yours?
The rebuild kits are all over e-bay and the guys in China will ship to you!!
Bogen That's an old style starter. I don't have any parts for it.
Looks like you need the whole armature???
You might need to cut the washer down.
Or you'll be fixing it like Two Fish

bogan

Cadet

Two Fish i think I have the parts for yours.Put a ruler (prefer inches if possible) next to it.
I have a rebuilt.Can you rebuild yours?
The rebuild kits are all over e-bay and the guys in China will ship to you!!
Bogen That's an old style starter. I don't have any parts for it.
Looks like you need the whole armature???
You might need to cut the washer down.
Or you'll be fixing it like Two Fish

Thanx anyway, and yeah i would say its prob the original starter or very close to the original. Yep need the whole armature and from all the looking i have done around the net not much chance of getting my hands on that. So chances are am going to have to try and find a 2nd hand one or buy a new replacement for the whole starter. Chrome dome has past on a number for a bloke who i will try this week. Oh and what do you mean by cutting the washer down ?? is that incase it hits the fly wheel???

I am also looking at making a bracket to go over the top of the armature so that the nut cant be sent flying again and act as a safety back up so we dont get stuck on the water again.

Two fish what exactly has happened to yours ???

bogan

Cadet

Also thanx so much to you guys for helping and am soooooooooooo glad i found this site.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

bogan, I’m not really sure what has happen to my starter. It’s been a bit average from the time I purchased the boat 4 years ago. It has been slowly going down hill. I noticed it has a slightly bent main shaft now. The pinion gear bush slips slightly. Possibly the magnets have lost some powerful. There are some small cracks in the resin holding the wires on the armature. Some of the numbers have rubbed of the stickers through wear from the many times I’ve had to take it out of the motor to inspect it. There is no way of avoiding this. ITS OVER BETWEEN US. I no longer respect it. No longer is there a spark when I turn the key. We need to go our separate ways.

Sorry got a bit emotional there and I obviously have way too much time on my hands.

I think it is just worn out. Many things coming together to make it perform poorly. If there was something obviously wrong with it I would replace that part. I’m reluctant to spend much money trying to repair it and still have a weak starter in the end. I do a lot of night fishing in the ocean and would like to be confident that the starter will work when it is needed.

I’d be interested to hear how you go sourcing a new starter.

anfbogan

Recruit

Well the temp fix on the starter broke last night, lucky for us was out the front of home testing it before we left. So on the hunt for a new starter, will keep you posted.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Try Frank?? Or,
Valley Sales(989) 366-8178 Might be too long a call?
valleysales@charter.net Try this guy too.
Last time there he had a ton of older Chryslers.

Salvage yards:
sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
trixieslanding.com Trixie’s Landing, Bayville, NJ 732-269-5838
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com/
Don's marine Salvage, 5601 126th Avenue North Clearwater, FL 33760 - (727) 576-8577
timsoutboard.com
http://www.shipwreckusedparts.com/aboutus.html
http://www.mmsalvage.com/