Force 125 hp outboard - gear housing cover - how to remove when it is Stuck

Xev

Cadet
Force 125 hp outboard 1988

We need to get the gear housing cover off, it is stuck on after removing all the bolts.
Any suggestions that won't result in it being broken?
It seems to be still attached in the center around the water pump.
We have removed....the 4 bolts holding in the water pump and the 3 bolts visibly holding down the cover.

Thanks,
Xev

emoney

Commander
Re: Force 125 hp outboard - gear housing cover - how to remove when it is Stuck

Are you trying to get inside the gear housing or remove the entire lower unit from the motor? If you've removed the water pump bolts, then I'm assuming you've got the LU dropped, which leaves "inside the gear housing". If that's the case, it's a sealed unit and you have to pull the gears from the prop shaft. That's a pretty big job requiring some serious know-how. Now, if you're talking about dropping the leg, have you disconnected the shift shaft in the middle leg, below the head? Part #48 in your drawing.

Xev

Cadet

Lower unit 1.jpgLower unit 2.jpgWe were trying change the oil and we removed the bottom plug/the pin for the gear shift arm....thinking it was the drain plug like on our past outboards.
We just need the gear housing cover off to get to the part that fell off.
Yes lower unit is already off.
(luckily we have a spare lower unit. So this may just be a winter project.)
The gear housing cover is just stuck in the center - both tips are loose.
We don't want to break it as from that site it is out of stock :-(

emoney

Commander

I don't think you can access that pin from anywhere except "through the screw hole", unless you pull the prop shaft. Someone will be along shortly to verify, as my 120 Force is an entirely different lower unit, but I have seen many threads warning of not removing that screw. Some folks have had luck just "fishing" it with the bolt itself to get it back into place. Wait until one of these "pros" come along and let's get their input. I do know there are plenty of threads around on this subject though so you can do some searching in Force/Chrysler forum while you wait.

Xev

Cadet

We had searched the posts - were told to remove the cover and turn upside down to get it to fall out. And then some odd maneuvring with thread. ;-)
They stated they got it back on after around 10 min - we'll see.
We just need the cover off.

This is the thread I am referring to http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=550698

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you can access the brass yoke (part 73) and steel shifter yoke (part 45) if you remove that cover. In fact, there is a post (not mine) on using some thread to hold pieces in place while setting them onto the shift shaft.

Unfortunately, there are no pry points for the cover. You can try to drive up the center part by alternately tapping on a screwdriver. DO NOT pry on the front or back. They will either bend or break.

If you unscrew the shift rod it may be possible to tap the whole part a couple of degrees sideways and then you will have two pry points. The O ring seal is tight and difficult to remove. Then, a little corrosion just above the seal will make it fight you more. Use a little anti-seize on the O ring and area above it to help ease removal next time.

Xev

Cadet

So if we remove the shift rod, there isn't anything new and unexpected that will come unattached? :)

Jiggz

Captain

You can follow what Frank mentioned which will also work. In my case, I slowly tap in a very pointed scribe to break the cover off its base and then switch over with a small flat tip screwdriver to pry it. Since the shifting yoke is now detached, it will come out with the shift rod unless there is a way to unscrew it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You can pry up next to where the screw holes are.On the inside not the outside.
The front part is an oil passage and prying there will destroy the cover and the mating surface.
Yea you can move the front back and forth to try and loosen.
Too much force and it will warp it!!