1998 75 hp Force Missing and rough idle.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m having a problem with the motor missing. It is more noticeable when cold and is enough to stall the motor at times. At idle the motor increases revs then misses, slows down and starts the cycle over again. It seems to run ok at speed.

What I’ve tried so far.

Link and sync.
Cleaned carb several times, even removed welsh plug to check.
Plugs.
Comp 140, 140, 140
New fuel filters and lines but have not changed primer bulb.
Switched from main fuel tank to portable tank.
Rebuilt fuel pump.
Looked at reeds that I could see. Motor only has 1 carb so can only see 1 ? reed blocks.
Checked fuel enrichment solenoid is working ok.

On the electrical side of things I’m a bit out of my depth when it comes to testing Ignition components but this is what I have checked.

Stator 685 ohms on ignition, between green/white and white/green. On charging circuit 0.5 ohms, between yellow wires. ( the manual I have says this should be 0.24 – 0.25) I don’t have a DVA meter to do other tests and also not sure how to do the tests.

Partial tested CDMs.
A to C terminals 1240 ohms on all.
High tension leads to A 1240 ohms on all.
Earth wires had a good ground.
The stop wire (black /yellow) was open when ignition switch is on and closed when key is switched off.

I’d like to check the ignition more thoroughly but would like some help please.

My other thought is I’m getting water into the motor causing it to run rough when it is cold at idle. I’d like to chase other possible causes first as the motor has been run is salt water for the last 4 years. The original paint is still on all the bolts so they have not been removed from new.

Photo of the plugs. # 1 cylinder on the left, # 3 on the right. 6 hours running from new.
The plugs have always graded lighter from the top to darker on the bottom. I’m told this is due to having a single carb feeding 3 cylinders. They have done this ever since I have owned the boat and before the misfire problem.

I’ve had the motor running without the miss a couple of times. This usually happen after I’ve had the cover off the motor after working on it. The boat is stored under a large tarp and condensation can build up. I keep thinking I have found the problem but it keeps coming back later.
It’s not exhaust fumes as the miss occurs with the cowl off.

I’m at the point of getting a outboard mechanic to diagnose the problem. They have the tools and knowledge. I don’t want to be throwing parts at the motor in an attempt to fix it.

What should I be looking at next?

Thanks

Dean

Recent plugs
Plugs 2.jpg

Plugs 2 years ago
Plugs.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 75 hp Force Missing and rough idle.

Kind of hard to tell but it looks like milky oil on the plugs which like you mentioned, may indicate a water leak. Head gasket or exhaust cover gasket or stainless steel exhaust cover internal baffle is cracked.

Jiggz

Captain

With good compression, I would check all possibilities before cracking open the head. First, you need to de-carbonize the engine using straight sea foam. With only 1 carburetor it should be very easy for you. Buy a can of seafoam and replaced it in a spray bottle. Start the engine with the cowl off (make sure you have the water and muffs on).

Let if warm up and come to operating temp. Using the carb throttle lever rev up the engine up to about 3000~4000 RPM intermittently like you are racing it. Spray the seafoam (when coming up to speed) and watch for the exhaust smoke and see if carbon dust starts coming out. It shouldn't take no more than 5 minutes of this and the carbon will ultimately stop coming out of the exhaust. When that happens, you are done de-carbonizing.

To verify, pull the bottom plug and it should be sparkling clean. If it is not, then do the process again until it is. you can also use water to de-carb albeit use it sparingly. Just make sure you do not overspray it kills the engine. I usually spray when I'm the engine is in the process of revving up. Re-post your result.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I didn't see the milky oil on the plugs??Is there?
The plugs seem to be burning right,usually the top plug burns lighter than the bottom ones,something that happens with a single carb.
The basic setting on the carb(air screw) is 1 turn out.
Then after it's warm you adjust.
Turn in the screw and when it kicks,bucks,stalls,turn the screw out 1/2 turn.

Check the enricher to see if it's adding extra fuel.Unhook the green lead,go for a ride.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies.

pnwboat.
Plugs look clear in real life. Photo is a bit deceptive.

Jiggz
I’m going to decarb and I will let you know how I go.

jerryjerry05
I will reset idle screw again to see if it helps.
The enricher is a good idea.

Found the check valves were leaking. Posted this separately.

Cheers

TwoFish