90 HP Force over charging?

Kent_Burrow

Cadet
Good morning all. It's been a while.
So I have my 90 horse Force running well again only to discover yet a new problem.
Screwing around with my fish finder and all of a sudden I get a message stating it was getting too many volts or something like that. Went and checked my charge gauge and that sucker was tacked out all the way!
What the hell? Any thoughts?

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 90 HP Force over charging?

The problem is the UN-regulated design of the charging system which uses a simple rectifier instead of a combination of rectifier/regulator component. The best remedy is to replace the rectifier with one that has a regulator built in. If you search this forum you will find out you're not the first nor will be the last to have this problem. And the remedy they've used is replaced it either with a Radio shack full ware bridge rectifier without a regulator or a universal regulator/rectifier unit.
This is the radio shack unit - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062584

And this is the universal unit - http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/865222-sports-parts-01-154-16-electrical-components-universal-regulator-rectifier?gclid=COCatajJ-7ECFWXhQgodeHEABw

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Or, if you have a separate battery for a trolling motor, hook the fish finder to that battery.

Kent_Burrow

Cadet

Okay great. So if I do go with the trolling motor battery hook up, are there any issues with the charging system that could create problems down the road if I leave it alone?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not really, thats the way it has always been, an unregulated system.
The battery is part of the system and over time, it can "boil" off some of its water. Just check it once or twice a year and add water if needed.

I'd be more worried about the stator or rectifier failing and not putting out any charge at all.