115 Chrysler Charging Question

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi i like to know why you cant use a deep cylce battery or maintance free for outboards?

also if i run the charging wire which from the rectifier looks like the red one to a battery isolator and then off too the 2 batteries can i charge maintance free batteries then? or how can i

as deep clycle seem better and what not
but i also wanted to charge 2 batteries but isolate them like with battery isolator but dont know if you can with a outboard style or you need a like car alternator style

emoney

Commander
Re: 115 Chrysler Charging Question

Not sure what you're asking, but some deep cycles are used for starting batteries. They're "dual purpose" and have a "CCA" rating on them (cold cranking amps). You can use a maintenance-free battery as a starting batt. as well, so? As for charging 2 batteries; use a "1/BOTH/2" battery switch and turn it to "2" when you want to charge both.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If your Chrysler does not have a distributor, it has Prestolite ignition. This electrical system delivers an UNREGULATED voltage. With a maintenance free battery, eventually some water will "boil" out and there is no way to remove the caps to add more water. Thus: you would not want to use a maintenance free battery with these engines.

The power draw during starting is not as great as a car starter so an adequately sized deep cycle battery will quite happily start the outboard.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

is that for all boat engines that are outboards i had same question for a 200hp merc but its got 6 igntion coils has a rectifier and a voltage regulator but they say dont use deep cylce etc with this voltage regulator

the chrsyler engine i have is 1978 and it has a distributor it looks from last i remember its got the belt on it to adjust the timing i guess too on the other side it has the chargiing its a box with 3 wires coming off it forget the name at the moment