Mercury Force 70hp Won't turn over

Status
Not open for further replies.

nparry

Cadet
Hello all,

Recently purchased a Mercury Force engine, a 1995 I believe. It turns over, but will not start. Battery power is fine. Switched to "run", primed, choked, tank venting ....nothing. Turns over, does not catch, or start.

I am very new to outboard engines, and have learned more about them in 24 hours than I thought I ever would, but am still not confident that I've identified the problem. I hope you all can help.

At the advice of a friend, I took off the carb bowl, as I had noticed at one point that a small amount of fuel was dripping from the bowl. There was some veeeery small pieces of debris in there which I cleaned out. I replaced the bowl, tried again, no dice.

I have checked the plugs - they look ok but I have not tested for spark. (don't want to do that unsupervised!) At one point I was able to detect some fuel on the plugs. At another occasion in the same day, I was not. I'm not sure what symptoms or level of moisture I should be looking for here, and under what conditions.

My suspicion, based on a few hours of reading and practically zero experience, is the carb. Perhaps it needs a rebuild? I hope not, but perhaps so. I assume that costs plenty of money. I'm not sure if I can take any measures to clean the carb while it is attached to the engine? - if there is a spray or something I can try before taking it to a mechanic?

I am using the existing fuel that came with the boat. The previous owner said the boat was on the water running 2-3 weeks ago, and the fuel should be good. I have replaced the fuel line, and the prime pump stays firm, indicating it works.....

I hope this provides enough information for some feedback or suggestions. If not, let me know what else I can offer.

Thanks in advance...

nparry

Cadet
Re: Mercury Force 70hp Won't turn over

...side note: I now think the fuel was seen dripping from the bowl because we had made several attempts at priming and starting, and this had flooded the engine. Logical?

Thanks,

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have to do a spark test before wasting any more time! If you have spark use a spray bottle with fuel mix and see i it starts. If it starts then dies you have a carb or fuel pump issue most likely.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, nparry. You have a Force outboard. Though it may have been made by Mercury it is not a Mercury. You will get more and better response in the Force Forum. I will move this there for you.

Good luck. :)

Jiggz

Captain

Now that you are on the right forum. Let's get things started. First , you need to run either to Walmart or any autoshop and buy an inline see through spark tester (around $5 cost). Read the instruction that came with it and test for sparks and repost.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Do you have the Kill Switch lanyard attached? If it's disconnected, you will not have any spark.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Very disappointed in the seller, he should have given you an on water demonstration and shown you how to start and operate the boat.

Yes, check that the safety lanyard/kill switch is in the run position.
THen check for spark.

There is no conventional choke on that motor.
There is a fuel enrichment valve, that releases fuel directly into the intake manifold.

You know not to start the motor unless it is in the water, or hooked up to a water hose, right?

Then try this step by step starting procedure.

Open fuel tank vent

Check the kill switch, place in "run" position

Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Turn the key to the on/run position.

Activate the choke (fuel enrichment valve) by pushing in on the key. The valve is only open while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.

3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.

Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.

You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.

Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

Get back to us with the results. Good Luck.

nparry

Cadet

Hello again, all....

First - accept my apologies for not replying sooner. While I saw your responses, (on my phone...not sure if I can reply using that) I have been away working and unable to reply to you all. Also, last time I did have a moment to try, it appears these forums were temporarily off line. So, excuse my delayed response to all of your helpful comments.....

pnwboat - Switch is set to run.

roscoe - thanks for the lengthy, detailed response. This is exactly how I've been attempting to start the boat, with no results. The engine still does not start. Also, I eventually got a spark tester, and based on using that, I'm convinced I have no spark. The plugs are new, and the battery charge is good, and appears to be well connected. I'm assuming either power pack or stator, or faulty wiring I haven't detected. It looks like the boat will go into the shop later this week for repairs, but I'd still be interested in anything you guys might have to say/suggest on my situation. The more you learn.....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Fill out the profile,you might be close to someone who can help.
CDI ignition has test procedures too.

Kbyrd0441

Recruit
We are having the same issue,we just purchased the boat 2 weeks ago ..wouldnt click..found a dead wire fixed it but the boat wouldnt start...

Nordin

Commander
Please start your own thread, this one is 9 years old.
Read the forum rules.

jbcurt00

Staff member
We are having the same issue,we just purchased the boat 2 weeks ago ..wouldnt click..found a dead wire fixed it but the boat wouldnt start...
As Nordin suggested start a topic about your boat, battery, wiring & ignition

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.