Force 125 outboard tune up suggestions help

fishinfiend

Cadet
I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for tuning up my force 125 outboards for instance procedures , tips , tricks, ect. all help is appreciated.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Force 125 outboard tune up suggestions help

The Link and Synch sticky post is a very good first step in tuning my 125. One thing I noticed that help me smoothened my idle is with the air screw set at 1 turn out from lightly seated or maybe a little less. With this setting the idle is smoother and less smoke from the exhaust.

I clean my plugs after a month or so of operation. . I changed gear oil before winter every year. And then if the idle for some reasons starts to get rough I de-carbon the engine using straight seafoam sprayed into the carbs. I usually just do this on the driveway on muffs. I rev it up just using the tie bar instead of the tower (which means timing is not following). And then there is the impeller check before the season.

I've had the engine for more than 3 years now and so far the only thing I have changed are the plugs (after acquiring it), the exhaust relief boot (this is a puzzle for a long time and the biggest symptom is rough and low idle rpm when in the water but not on the driveway) and the impeller.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 125 outboard tune up suggestions help

Most times the timing won't be changed unless someone has messed with it.
So changing/cleaning the plugs is all you need to do for the motor.
You should have perma-gap plugs, just use a wire brush and carb cleaner and they will last for YEARS!!!
Install a filter between the carb and fuel pump.
Change the impeller and gear oil.
Change the gear oil more often if you use the boat a lot.
The impeller changed at least every 2 years.
Upper Marlboro,guess you use it in salt water.
Make sure you flush after every use.
Do a decarb,I like Mercury's Power Tune.
Some use Seafoam.
Since the ethanol is here to stay, use additives.