Chrysler 70 hp no spark

sulley

Recruit
First, new to this forum! I have a 1972 chrysler 70 hp model 707he. Just purchased this engine. I tested compression and it was great. My problem is that I have no spark. I purchased a spark gap tester. Not sure where to start. Also, I don't have it on my boat so I am connecting jumper cables to the starter. Could this be part of my problem? Thinking mabe ignition key switch has to be on. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 70 hp no spark

Your particular engine is early generation electronic ignition. It is NOT self energising buy takes power from the battery through the ignition switch.

Simply cranking it will not energise ignition and there will be no spark. The engine must be wired and the switch must be on. You do not need to crank the engine to test for spark. On these ignitions, with the switch on, simply turning the flywheel by hand will spark if everything is attached and working.

So: Either attach the wiring cable and battery cables or attach battery cables and jump on the engine terminal board red to blue. Since you are new to this, I don't recommend it.

Mount the engine and attach all electrical then crank it and see if you get spark

sulley

Recruit

Thanks Frank for the helpfull info and quick response! I will mount the engine and hook all wires. Thanks again!

emoney

Commander

You can, of course, hook up the wires, including ignition, without mounting it.

sulley

Recruit

Did as you said Frank, hooked ignition switch wires to engine and turned the flywheel by hand and now I have spark on all 3! Thanks again gonna fire up the ole girl this weekend!