1996 Force 40 HP exhaust/water leak

checkeredflag

Recruit
I have replaced both the head gasket and exhaust port gaskets on my 1996 Force 40hp and there is still exhaust and water escaping somewhere near the exhaust port. I cannot tell exactly where. I am unsure what to do next and want to avoid spending too much on this older motor, since I am told this Mercury/Force type motor is, but no longer manufactured. I welcome any suggestions. Motor runs fine fumes were choking it down when cowl was attached.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Force 40 HP exhaust/water leak

Parts are still readily available.
There are 2-4 places the exhaust can be leaking.
Unfortunatly they are under the powerhead.
Get a parts diagram or go to boats . net and look up your motor.
Then the first thing you see is the link for the adaptor plate upper.
That's the first place.
Then look at the driveshaft housing.#33 #8 #30 can all be a leak point.
Really not that hard to fix,just time consuming.

Don't be discouraged these motors can last a VERY long time and are usually very dependable.
Mine are 24 and still going.

Fill out the profile,location??
You might be close to someone who can help.

checkeredflag

Recruit

Thanks JerryJerry05. I just ordered a factory service manual off eBay. I believe it is the powerhead to adapter gasket just below the exhaust port plate area. Cannot find that gasket in the parts diagrams online or at least I haven't yet. Will wait until I see what all must come apart to replace this and then order any gaskets that I need. The exhaust plate was a pain with the lower cowl on, but I managed. Hope to separate the power head by removing the 6 M10x100 bolts, but I will see what the manual says.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

One of the gaskets is just silicone.
I use Permatex,either black or blue.

checkeredflag

Recruit

Found loose bolts in adapter plate and stripped threads on the 2 longer bolts near exhaust port. Repaired with Heli coils and 2 new adapter plate gaskets. Seems to have resolved my leaks. Washers on 3 of the adapter bolts were broken into small pieces. Removal of power head was not too complicated. I was able to lift it off by myself by standing in the bed of my pickup in order to get a good lift angle.

kevuda340

Recruit

Found loose bolts in adapter plate and stripped threads on the 2 longer bolts near exhaust port. Repaired with Heli coils and 2 new adapter plate gaskets. Seems to have resolved my leaks. Washers on 3 of the adapter bolts were broken into small pieces. Removal of power head was not too complicated. I was able to lift it off by myself by standing in the bed of my pickup in order to get a good lift angle.

Having the same problem with my 40 force ( Water leak) I replaced the 2 Exhaust PLate gaskets still leaked. Removed linkage and everything to remove the powerhead, 6 mounting bolts etc. , it moves but something is still holding it down somewhere in the front. The manual mentions a hidden screw under a removeable exhuast muffler adapter?? can't find... HELP! Thanks, Kevin