50 hp force idle problems

puzzlemanbob

Recruit
My motor has ran smoothly every year until this one.
Starts not problem but runs very rough and dies.
Found if the roller that contacts the cam is slightly pulled on it runs well again. Ended up installing a clear hose over the roller just enough so cam engages and pushes on roller. It runs smooth now.
Problem is I was reading a post somewhere on here and it was mentioned the cam should not touch roller when in neutral position. Now I am concerned I may be doing some kind of damage running like this.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks Bob

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50 hp force idle problems

NO! The cam SHOULD touch the roller. The cam may not necessarily be at the mark or between the marks at idle. Ther roller is on an eccentric screw. You can loosen the nut and turn the screw to move the roller in or out to contact the cam. The roller should just contact the cam when setting up the engine and throttle should be very slightly advanced at idle. See the sticky: FAQs synchronizing timing and carbs. While written for three and 4 cylinder engines it will essentially be the same for yours.

Since the problem is a new one, look for a reason. Check sparkplugs, compression ratio, and clean carb.

puzzlemanbob

Recruit
Re: 50 hp force idle problems

thanks thats good to know.
I must have read a blog for another type of outboard engine.

puzzlemanbob

Recruit
I now have a similar problem, adjusted the idle screw that is against the block and motor sounds really good idleing in neutral but when positioned in fwd to go slowly out of no wake area motor runs really rough unless I increase speed with throttle.
I have had the lower unit apart to replace impellar and checked shifting FNR and all appears fine. Also had shifter off and maybe cables are too tight. Any help would be appreciated.

Jiggz

Captain
You opened up an old thread although it is originally yours, you will be better off starting a new one. Anyways, your motor could be misfiring and an increase in idle rpm is not really fixing the problem but more masking it. You need to verify you have sparks on all cylinders using an inline spark tester. Double check the spark plugs making sure they are not fouled or worse yet corroded.