Force 40hp Intermittant Starter Issue

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a 1994 Force 40hp outboard, model # 40ELPT

(has a new battery, also used a second battery to be sure it wasn't a battery issue)

Most times you turn the key and it starts but every once in a while you turn the key to start it and you will hear the bendix gear just spin without contact with the flywheel, just the humming noise from it spinning. If you hold the key for a few seconds it will slowly get faster but the starter gear will never contact the flywheel gear. If I pick up on the starter gear and engage it myself with the flywheel and have someone else hold the key it will just barely (if at all) turn the flywheel and the starter solenoid will start clicking. Even if I move the flywheel by hand with someone else turning the key it has a very hard time turning the engine over. So that manual effort turned out to be useless.

If you keep at it using only the key it will eventually start just fine and will be ok for a few days.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Force 40hp Intermittant Starter Issue

Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know how you make out.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Intermitten starting??
You know it's not the battery.
Then somewhere the ignition isin't making contact.
The key switch,spray WD-40 or a spray silicone in the switch.
Does it click or make a noise when it won't turn over?
if it clicks then the solenoid is probably the problem.
If no clicky then the neutral safety switch might need to be adjusted.
Or try wiggling the shifter forward and reverse as you turn the key.
Then check the starter,it's easy to take apart and clean.

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the info. The batter is fully charged.

I am going to check all connections today or tomorrow, take them all apart and clean them. I have a set of jumper cables on the boat in case I need to bypass everything and go direct from the battery to the starter.

I found a starter for $69.90 on eBay (rebuilt) and bought it so I will just throw that on there to see if it helps. Sicne I bought it the engine has been starting perfectly (figures).

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Intermitten starting??
You know it's not the battery.
Then somewhere the ignition isin't making contact.
The key switch,spray WD-40 or a spray silicone in the switch.
Does it click or make a noise when it won't turn over?
if it clicks then the solenoid is probably the problem.
If no clicky then the neutral safety switch might need to be adjusted.
Or try wiggling the shifter forward and reverse as you turn the key.
Then check the starter,it's easy to take apart and clean.

Thanks for the info...
The starter gear always at least turns but when im having this issue it doesn't spin with enough torque to throw the gear up to the flywheel. When I engage the gear with the flywheel by hand and turn the key it brely moves the flywheel at all, then stops once the engine hits a compression stroke.

OhSnap

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You hit the nail on the head! I replaced the starter and guess what? Same problem I had before!

I used a jumper cable to run from the neg on the battery to the starter housing and it worked much better. I removed the main ground wire from the engine and wire brushed it, the washer, the nut, and the surface it was bolted to, reconnected tightly and it has been working fine since!

Back in the water....

Thanks for the info!!