1984 Chrysler Force 85 M.P.H. Engine

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice
1984 Chrysler Force 85 H.P. Engine - 1984 Bayliner Capri 16.5"

2 weeks ago, took boat out with a friend. Ran at full throttle, then slowed down to go into a cove where they built new docks for the sailboat club several years ago. Left the cove and upon entering open water, gave it full throttle but this time no OOMPH!

Followed all the advice I was given here.

Pressure was around 140+ in two cylinders (this is a 3 cylinder motor). The center cylinder was only around 95. They diagnosed the problem as a blown head gasket after checking out the electronics and noticing moisture in the middle cylinder.

Parts and labor were around $200. All cylinders testing around 140+ pressure. I picked up the boat and immediately took it out to check it out for myself. It started and ran beautiful.

In 28 years (I bought new) only the second major repair. Last time it was a coil for one of the cylinders. To be honest, the way the boat acted originally, I thought it was the same problem again. Only getting power from 2 of the 3 cylinders.

I was only getting power from 2 of 3 cylinders, but for a different reason.

emoney

Commander
Re: 1984 Chrysler Force 85 M.P.H. Engine

Good for you and it sounds like you've found a fair and reasonable shop to work on it. Bonus points all around I say. But, I'm having a hard time believing your boat goes 85 mph, lol. (did you mean "85 hp"?). Now you should post pics of your boat and motor. We like looking at "Boat Pron"....especially in the Force/Chrysler Forum.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1984 Chrysler Force 85 H.P. Engine

Good for you and it sounds like you've found a fair and reasonable shop to work on it. Bonus points all around I say. But, I'm having a hard time believing your boat goes 85 mph, lol. (did you mean "85 hp"?). Now you should post pics of your boat and motor. We like looking at "Boat Pron"....especially in the Force/Chrysler Forum.
Brain fart... sorry.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You just telling us your OK or there is a problem??

emoney

Commander

Knarf I was just funnin ya, of course, lol. I like threads like these. It's like a tooth: we don't think about it until it starts hurtin'. And we don't get enough, "I've had no probs with mine" conversations. Good for posting it, Knarf.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that's a steal of a deal for dealer Force work...i have to do all my own repairs due to the fact that zero mechanics in this area will touch them at all. Luckily they are fairly easy to work on, and with the help of this forum i feel like i could tune it up to get 85mph ;)

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

that's a steal of a deal for dealer Force work...i have to do all my own repairs due to the fact that zero mechanics in this area will touch them at all. Luckily they are fairly easy to work on, and with the help of this forum i feel like i could tune it up to get 85mph ;)
You are correct. 2 dealerships would not touch it because of the age. This was the third dealership I went to for repair work.

You are right about getting a good deal. First, they told me because of their seasonal workload (this is a R.V. and boat dealership) it would be at least a week and half before they could even look at it. I left it on Friday and on Monday the mechanic (Aaron) called to get my take on what the problem was (he was reading the write-up from the service writer but he wanted to hear from me what happened). He then thought out loud some possible problems, but said he would do some diagnostics and get back to me. Called again an hour later and said the middle cylinder was only getting about 95 lbs of pressure while the other 2 were getting a little over 145. He had checked out the electrical system and that was fine, but he found some moisture cylinder and believed the head gasket was blown. He ordered a new head gasket (he later told me through Iboats.com) and installed it and everything was great. The gasket part was $48. Labor was the rest of the bill.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

Oh.. forgot... Pictures HERE

Click on thumbnail to see larger images.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pictures dont work

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry.... they work now. Click on the link above or HERE to view pictures.

Good looking motor. How come your temp wire is not hooked up? Or I think its your temp wire? the orange one.
Check out my dash replacement on my bayliner - same year. I could not stand the look of that stock dash!
Who said bayliners are crap! 30 years and still going strong.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

Good looking motor. How come your temp wire is not hooked up? Or I think its your temp wire? the orange one.
You lost me. Which wire you talking about? Can you point towards the picture you are talking about. I do see that one C.D.I. has a wire that is not connected to anything but that is because each C.D.I. can handle 2 cylinders and when you only have 3 cylinders, that always leaves an extra wire just hanging there.

emoney

Commander

That's a really clean boat and motor, knarf...very nice indeed. Just goes to show you, if you take care of something and treat it the way it should be treated it will last a lot longer and stay looking good. Kuods.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe he is talking about this one Knarf.

emoney

Commander

I thought the temp wire on these motors was "orange"? I'm with Knarf in thinking that's the extra CDI red wire. But what do I know?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are my eyes just shot... that wire looks really orange to me.??

emoney

Commander

It's probably safer to assume mine are the bad ones, but it sure looks red to me. This coming from the guy who leaves his tri-focal glasses in the car in a case at all times.