what does this wire connect to??? 94 force 120

dirtyrice23

Seaman Apprentice
Tach isn't working. It jumps on when I turn the key and bumps up while cranking then nothing. Not sure what this purple wire goes to but its hot when the key is on.... Anyone know? Thanx for the help.557312_10100553583955337_739342391_n.jpg578739_10100553584174897_1928420980_n.jpg

emoney

Commander
Re: what does this wire connect to??? 94 force 120

@foodfish...<snicker> Isn't the "other" purple wire, the one on the right side of the block, the tach wire?

Dirtyrice, it might be time to invest in a factory service manual. I used to never have one either, but once I decided to start doing stuff for myself (as much as I'm capable, of course) I ordered my first one and I've never looked back sense. They're not that expensive and can usually be found on Ebay and the like. Not a big fan of the "aftermarket" manuals like Seloc, et al, but even those are better than not having one.

dirtyrice23

Seaman Apprentice

@foodfish...<snicker> Isn't the "other" purple wire, the one on the right side of the block, the tach wire?

Dirtyrice, it might be time to invest in a factory service manual. I used to never have one either, but once I decided to start doing stuff for myself (as much as I'm capable, of course) I ordered my first one and I've never looked back sense. They're not that expensive and can usually be found on Ebay and the like. Not a big fan of the "aftermarket" manuals like Seloc, et al, but even those are better than not having one.

Exactly, there is a purple wire that goes to the regulator and a grey one on the other side of the block that goes to the Tach. Not sure what this purple wire goes to. Manual is on order. Was just seeing if anyone knew what it went to. Thanx guys

Jiggz

Captain

The gray wire runs from the rectifier to the terminal block (#2 terminal from top) and then connects either to a solid purple wire or gray wire going to another smaller terminal block under the dash (the same terminal block connecting the overheat buzzer) and connects to the back of the tachometer. The tachometer has a separate red wire which connects to the ignition so it will only power up when the key is in ignition position or when engine is running.

The red wire opposite of the gray wire seems to be a misplaced wire. On 88~91 125HP the signal wire connected to the rectifier is purple while on 120HP it is gray. and the wire connecting to the tachometer on 120HP can either be gray or purple. You can either trace the other end of the purple wire or you can experiment disconnecting the red wire opposite the gray wire and see what happens if you connect the purpose wire in its place. since the misplace red wire could be hot, make sure you insulate it when disconnected.

dirtyrice23

Seaman Apprentice

The gray wire runs from the rectifier to the terminal block (#2 terminal from top) and then connects either to a solid purple wire or gray wire going to another smaller terminal block under the dash (the same terminal block connecting the overheat buzzer) and connects to the back of the tachometer. The tachometer has a separate red wire which connects to the ignition so it will only power up when the key is in ignition position or when engine is running.

The red wire opposite of the gray wire seems to be a misplaced wire. On 88~91 125HP the signal wire connected to the rectifier is purple while on 120HP it is gray. and the wire connecting to the tachometer on 120HP can either be gray or purple. You can either trace the other end of the purple wire or you can experiment disconnecting the red wire opposite the gray wire and see what happens if you connect the purpose wire in its place. since the misplace red wire could be hot, make sure you insulate it when disconnected.

It is purple, not red. A bad pic I guess. Took my battery to autozone to get checked out. Not on full charge so hopefully its just a battery issue. The manual is n the mail. I'll give it a look again once I get the book. It runs now, just trying to fix the small things on the boat not working right. Biggest issue is the tilt but u guys r the best with info. Prob will b bugging yall with questions, but I really do appreciate the help! Thanx again!!! First boat, I'm a rookie