1990 Force Throttle Question.......

brinker232

Seaman
I have a 1990 Bayliner Capri. My previous boats have all had a separate lever to raise the throttle while it is still in Neutral. This boat doesn't seem to have this, if it does I have no clue how to do it, and I am having hell getting it to start with out flooding it since it is idling too low. Any suggestions or anyone know how to do this? Am I missing something?

Thanks!~!

emoney

Commander
Re: 1990 Force Throttle Question.......

Post a picture of your controls to be precise, but sounds like you're coming from the Evinrude/Johnson family with the "warm up lever", yes?
At any event, on my 120 which has Quicksilver controls, there's a neutral warm-up "button" towards the bottom of the shift/throttle lever. On mine, its in the middle of the "circle". Push that in while pushing the throttle forward. It should only allow you to go about 30%-ish of the normal range if you were engaging forward gear. This is the warm-up-lever.

Here's mine, the "grayish" button towards the bottom;
lv2.jpg

Jiggz

Captain

It is referred to as idle fast. Mostly it is done in two ways. One pull out the throttle lever (usually by grabbing the center part instead of the horizontal shift part or hand rest) towards driver and then shift forward. The other way is there is center button as described by emoney.

foodfisher

Captain

Haven't seen, but have heard tell of, a trigger to pull to put the throttle in fast idle also.

brinker232

Seaman

Here is a pic of my Throttle Arm. IT locks into neutral and there is a lever that you pull up to move it into gear but no other way of controlling only the throttle that I can see. WP_000459.jpg

mauiboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

like jigg says you pull out the center of the controller and move the arm foward

brinker232

Seaman

Thanks for the info!! I'll try it when I get home this afternoon!!!!

Jiggz

Captain

Actually, your's looks exactly like mine. It pulls out and then push forward. I always grab it by the center part or at least by the middle part of the vertical section for easy pulling. If you try pulling it out using the horizontal handle it tends to pivot instead of sliding out.

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice

Pull on the center as mentioned above. I find that if I wiggle the handle a little forward and back it helps the process.