1994 Force 120 missing the idle adjustment screw.... What size?

dirtyrice23

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a 94 force 120. It is running good but i was trying to mess the idle adjustment at the top of the tower and it looked funny. I then did some research on this forum and looked for the screw with the nut to adjust the idle, nothing is there. Does anyone know what size and length this screw is? Thnks for the help!

stubtail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1994 Force 120 missing the idle adjustment screw.... What size?

This is a guess : 1/4 - 20. The towershaft is threaded. Tryseveral different screws until one turns in easily by hand. As for length, with the control at idle position, estimate the distance from the towershaft to the block where the adjustment screw will contact, and add the thickness of the towershaft lug, the thickness of a plain nut and another 1/4" or so for adjustment.

dirtyrice23

Seaman Apprentice

This is a guess : 1/4 - 20. The towershaft is threaded. Tryseveral different screws until one turns in easily by hand. As for length, with the control at idle position, estimate the distance from the towershaft to the block where the adjustment screw will contact, and add the thickness of the towershaft lug, the thickness of a plain nut and another 1/4" or so for adjustment.

Thanks for the info, no wonder the idle was acting weird.

Jiggz

Captain

Just bought a 94 force 120. It is running good but i was trying to mess the idle adjustment at the top of the tower and it looked funny. I then did some research on this forum and looked for the screw with the nut to adjust the idle, nothing is there. Does anyone know what size and length this screw is? Thnks for the help!

The adjustment at the top of the tower is for the timing. At the very bottom is the idle adjustment. But without a idle screw, that means a some form of contraption was improvised to set idle, otherwise the engine would have not started. A pic would be very helpful.

ibanezjam

Recruit

I have an issue with my 85hp force outboard i accidently turned the air/fuel adjustment screw when i was cleaning out the carbs started to turn it out then realized what it was.:facepalm: Now it wont start the spark plugs are bone dry after a good cranking of the engine there is fuel in the bowl of the carbs can that one screw stop this motor from starting it has three carbs the first one on top is the one i turned the screw on.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

ibanezjam,,Start your own thread.
You'll get the answers you need.
They don't like it if you hijack anothers thread.J

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Dirty rice If you messed with the timing screw at all,you need to check what you've done.
Re-time if needed.J

dirtyrice23

Seaman Apprentice

Dirty rice If you messed with the timing screw at all,you need to check what you've done.
Re-time if needed.J

Thanx. I just got back from the river. I messed with both and got her running pretty good. Thanx for the info guys!