Force Control Hook-Up

djw52566

Cadet
Recently I had a 140 HP Evinrude on my 91 Bayliner Capri and I've switched it over to a 85 HP Force motor. I know quite a switch, but long story short I brought the Evinrude in for maintenance as it was hard starting. The marina said "it works great now", guess what? Was worse than before. Took it back to them and they couldn't even get it started. The so-called technician went into his shop and brought out a can of starting fluid. I told him that I had heard that starting fluid is really bad on outboards, he said "no problem, the engine is oiled up now so it won't hurt anything" Well the engine is now toast and of course they won't stand behind what their work. Anyways, I bought a 85 HP Force (1985) for a really great price, before I paid the guy he started it right up, we checked compression and every cylinder registered 120 psi or very close. He put it in gear manually as he didn't have the controls connected, put it in reverse and everything worked as it should. Now I've got the motor attached to the boat and I need help with the controls. When I put the muffs to it last night it started right up but died almost immediately. Stupid me, I moved the connectors on the controls instead of hooking them up just as he had them. So now I'm sure that they are way out of adjustment. Here's the deal. When I pull the control lever out for neutral there is limited travel on the control lever. Lets say that neutral is 12:00, I would guess that I'm getting them to move forward to approximately 9:30-10:00. When I have it in gear (not running) I get full motion on the control lever. I know that the bottom cable is the throttle, whereas the top cable is the gears. I'm stumped. I tried looking at the screw for the cable for adjustment but cannot determine the previous position. If I have these backwards please let me know. I am not an expert and definately need some help. Anyone who can offer some insight would be greatly appreciated. Dan

emoney

Commander
Re: Force Control Hook-Up

I don't think you're wrong, if what you described is your set-up. The limited amount of throttle in "warm-up" (you called neutral) is to keep you from over-revving it. Did you happen to ask him his "start-up-routine". THing about these Forces is they can be very finicky to start. I'm sure it was warm when you bought it, but it's cold now. Call him and ask him what he did to start it cold (hold in choke on key with warm-up throttle at about 1/2 way or ????). Once you get the sequence stick to it. Also, what kind of fuel tank, built in or on deck? If it's latter, make sure the vent is open.

I'd have major issues with the shop, btw. As in, "lawyer-type-issues"

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The OMC stuff probably won't work on your motor.
It needs a different shifter or connectors.
The cable can be used if you trace the wires out and cross them over to a Force key switch.
When you pull out for N it ain't supposed to go but a little bit.

You might get the controls to work but they usually have different throws and reach????
It might shift but not accelerate all the way or it just might ALMOST shift maybe not.
You have the side control or a binacle mount?

Pictures of EVERYTHING will help.

When writing put it in smaller paragraphs.That's VERY hard to read and retain???

Profile? Location? You might be close to someone who can help.

djw52566

Cadet

Sorry about the long paragraphs.

He said that they were the original controls off of the Bayliner that the motor came from so I'm assuming that they are correct. They are side controls (I have a 91 Bayliner Capri)

I didn't ask him his start up routine, but know that when he started it he had to choke it manually as like I said, he didn't have the controls hooked up.

I have a built in fuel tank.

I do have major issues with them. I sent them a copy of a local independent marine mechanics findings. I haven't decided what to do with these guys yet. I've been in contact with the manager of the shop, but I'm working on getting the name(s) of the owners of the shop and see what they have to say. I definitely don't want them touching anything on my boat again.

The motor would start every time that I tried, that is when I choked it. This is what makes me believe that maybe the engine is not getting enough fuel to keep it running. Bulb is hard so I know fuel is getting there. And when the guy started it, it did die a couple of times but then ran just fine. This is the only reason I purchased it, I've had a 85 Force before (on a Bass Striker) and it ran like a champ, never any issues other than rebuilding the starter when I first purchased it.

Oh forgot one question. I am in Northwest Montana.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Starting procedures.
Hook up muffs or big bucket.
In a bucket,the water needs to be deep,over the cavitation plate.
Fast idle lever or throttle.
Pump ball,turn key,push key in to choke.
Mine will sometimes cough.When that happens,it's telling me I don't need to choke again.
Yours could be different.
Should start.