Welsh plug sealer.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am just about to fit a new welsh plug to the top of the carby. I noticed the old on was covered with a clear sealing compound. Does anyone know what I should be using to seal the new plug?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Welsh plug sealer.

I rebuilt the carb on my Briggs & Stratton land based engine and the manual said to use clear nail polish on the welsh plug. I don't know if marine use would require something more exotic.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

They sell an item called Indian Shelack sold at Auto Zone.
Probably available at any big auto store.
Don't use too much.
You know how to seal the welch plug?J

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies.

A local marine mechanic mentioned using nail polish. I was not sure if he was being serious or not but sounds like he must have meant it.

Jerry, I’ve never put this type of plug in before so any advice would be appreciated.

I may have complicated things a bit by making the plug myself out of sterling silver. I did it partly because I was too impatient to wait for a part to arrive and partly because I’m a jeweller and it looked easy to make. It fits very tightly and I will need to tap it around the edges to get it to fit. The shadow in the photo makes it look like there is a gap. I domed it slightly so I could hit it in the centre once I get it seated to force the edges outward and hopefully make the silver take on the shape of the hole to get a good seal. This was another reason I wanted to know if anyone knew of a good sealing compound just in case there is a gap.

Possibly this is not the best way to tackle this and I should order an original part.

The plug.

Plug1.jpgPlug2.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Nail polish is not good for anything on a motor!!!
It will disolve in gas!!!

Put in a bit of shelac A TINY bit around the top of the seal.
Too much will get into the passages.
Install the plug.It actually will fit a little loose untill it's set.
Then I use a bigger phillips head screwdriver or dull center punch.
Then 1 fair pop with a small hammer to seat the plug.Then a bit more shelac and your done.

If yours doesn't fit and you can't get the right stuff I probably have one.
It's gonna be tricky to ship it to you!!

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help Jerry.

By shellac I take it you mean the French polishing type. I have plenty of that.

I should be able to get an original plug here in Australia. The only problem I’ve found is that the small nuisance items can be on backorder for a long time. I have had a needle for the float in the carb on order for about 7 weeks. The old one is working OK so it’s no big deal.

Thanks for the offer of sending a plug to me. If I need it badly I’ll just have to fly you out here with the plug to fit it! :)

I’ll let you know how I go with this home made plug. If it works I could add it to my product list. Engagement rings, wedding rings and silver ,gold or platinum welsh plugs. For the boater who has everything.