1988 Force 50 Starter issue

Lilylayne

Recruit
I have a 1988 Force 50hp outboard. I am having issues with the starter not firing regularly when I turn the ignition. To date I have replaced the ignition, the neutral lock and the starter solenoid. I have also verified that the kill switch is good. I also fully charged the battery to make sure that was not the issue. I thought it might be the starter, but when I jump the solenoid it starts right up. Randomly the ignition will work and I think the problem is fixed only to have it not work again. Any suggestions? For what it is worth, the choke on the ignition works all the time.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Force 50 Starter issue

Does the wiring from the battery have in-line fuses? If so check em for corrosion and if found clean em up. Don't know if it was coincidence but I just had the same issue (89 Force 85HP). Haven't had the problem since.

Lilylayne

Recruit

Are you talking about the two pole fuse that looks like a Lego? (please pardon the bad description)

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like this:
7722508520_115c40946e.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The neutral safety switch adjusted right?
Loose connection?
If the circut breaker/inline fuse was bad it wouldn't start at all.
Under the dash,there is a fuse panel.Try cleaning the contacts on all the fuses.

Lilylayne

Recruit

The neutral safety switch adjusted right?
Loose connection?
If the circut breaker/inline fuse was bad it wouldn't start at all.
Under the dash,there is a fuse panel.Try cleaning the contacts on all the fuses.

Thanks. I did check the neutral switch by manually holding it in to see if that was the issue. I agree that I must have a bad connection somewhere between the ignition and the starter, as sometimes it will actually start. I am not sure if the fuse were blown it would start at all. I will check the fuses and connections and clean them well and tighten them down. Since the choke works everytime, I am thinking it must be a bad connection somewhere in my starter wire (yellow).