1990 Bayliner Capri with 90 hp force L drive with rattling feeling when shifting

Ndarkow

Cadet
Just bought a Bayliner capri with the 90 force l drive, took it out for the first time and as it went from neutral to in gear there would be a rattling feeling coming from the shifter with the sound from the engine, almost like its not quite clicking into gear. I tried searching for the throttle cable adjustment on here but not quite specific enough. If I slam it farther ahead it will click into gear but pop out within 5 seconds. It did this for awhile and after I docked and came back it started hard and shift into gear by itself, very slowly it did this so I shut it off. I undocked and started quick to go load the boat up, The rattling was gone in the shifter but as I came up to the other dock I wanted to go into reverse and it seemed to go forward. I would like to adjust the throttle cable linkage, I just don't know which way to go with it. thanks Nathan

Ndarkow

Cadet
Re: 1990 Bayliner Capri with 90 hp force L drive with rattling feeling when shifting

Just bought a Bayliner capri with the 90 force l drive, took it out for the first time and as it went from neutral to in gear there would be a rattling feeling coming from the shifter with the sound from the engine, almost like its not quite clicking into gear. I tried searching for the throttle cable adjustment on here but not quite specific enough. If I slam it farther ahead it will click into gear but pop out within 5 seconds. It did this for awhile and after I docked and came back it started hard and shift into gear by itself, very slowly it did this so I shut it off. I undocked and started quick to go load the boat up, The rattling was gone in the shifter but as I came up to the other dock I wanted to go into reverse and it seemed to go forward. I would like to adjust the throttle cable linkage, I just don't know which way to go with it. thanks Nathan
After the fact I did drain the gear lube, only about a quart came out, and notice the little screw above the drain plug was a little loose so I tightened it.

Ndarkow

Cadet
Re: 1990 Bayliner Capri with 90 hp force L drive with rattling feeling when shifting

After the fact I did drain the gear lube, only about a quart came out, and notice the little screw above the drain plug was a little loose so I tightened it.

Update: Took it out on the lake only to find out forward is reverse and reverse is somewhat reverse. Took down the lower unit, got some good material from merc marine. The gear pivot screw has sheared off, cant get the shift arm up and out of the lower unit. Is it supposed to just pull up with the yoke on? Or is my problem more with the pivot screw being sheared off?