1984 Force 85 MPH - Engine Trouble

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice
Went out on Monday (July 30th) and the boat ran great for a while. I opened it up, etc. I went into the cove where all the sailboats tie up and was running slow. Looked around at the sailboats and then came out of the cove. I never shut down the engine the whole time.

When I got into open water, I hit the throttle to go fast and it planed very slowly. Eventually, it reached about 25 mph. Normally, it goes about 38 mph on my 1984 Bayliner Capri 16 ft.

So I went from everything was fine, to it wasn't. I knew to check the siphon bulb, check the air vent, check the connections throughout the fuel system, etc. I also switched from one fuel tank to another to make sure the fuel wasn't the problem.

The motor is a 85HP Chrysler Force engine. 3 cylinders. I pulled the plugs and made sure they were clean, etc.

Finally, after talking to 3 dealers (no one wants to work on these things anymore, i.e. lack of parts, etc.) I took it to a dealer about 25 miles away.

I live in Central Ohio - near Columbus. Does ANYONE (including a garage mechanic) work on these or are able to in my area?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1984 Force 85 MPH - Engine Trouble

If you want to goto Akron, OH - there is a place called Pat's Boats - they definitely have a force guy there that will fix it. I have not used him but they advertise force and the owner told me his Force guy has been doing it for 20 years.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

If you want to goto Akron, OH - there is a place called Pat's Boats - they definitely have a force guy there that will fix it. I have not used him but they advertise force and the owner told me his Force guy has been doing it for 20 years.
So you are recommending someone you have NEVER used?

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Knarf: Before you take it to someone, do a few simple tests. Remove and ground the plugs then check for spark on each one. Buy a compression tester at the auto store--about 30 bucks-- and test compression on each cylinder. Those two tests will tell you a lot. Do them then come back with the results.

Yeah, I agree with you: I go to help someone at the launch ramp and they snottily tell me they have been doing it for 20 years. My reply is, " Yeah, and you have been doing it wrong for 20 years."

With the advice you will get on this forum, you can do anything up to and including a complete rebuild. And, parts for your engine are still available.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

Knarf: Before you take it to someone, do a few simple tests.
Already did. If you read my original post I mentioned that.

I bought the boat and motor brand new in 1984. In all of those years I have had 2 problems. One was electrical (I think CDI went out? Does that make sense? Or one of the coils? - One of the square boxes mounted to the engine - there are 3 of them).

Also, the rubber impeller for the water pump.

Not bad for 28 years of ownership. Boat has always been garaged and looks great for its age.

This is Ohio. We basically have a 12 to 14 week period you can use your boat for skiing and tubing. Plus everyone wants everything done RIGHT NOW. They said they would get to it next week.

Wish I could find someone who does this stuff on the side near me.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I did read your original post and no where did it mention compression numbers or whether or not all three plugs had spark-- I guess those were the etc. you mentioned, but I am not a mind reader.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

I did read your original post and no where did it mention compression numbers or whether or not all three plugs had spark-- I guess those were the etc. you mentioned, but I am not a mind reader.

I wasn't commenting on the tests you were suggesting. Your advice was to run some tests BEFORE I took it to someone. What I was saying was in my first post I had already said I had taken it to someone. Hence, I cannot follow your advice to run my own tests BEFORE I took it to someone because I already had taken it to someone.

Regardless, I am appreciative of all the advice I am being given - by you and others.

Finally, after talking to 3 dealers (no one wants to work on these things anymore, i.e. lack of parts, etc.) I took it to a dealer about 25 miles away. --- from my first post

Jiggz

Captain

So I guess the purpose of the original post is to let us know you already dropped it off to a mechanic 25 miles away but also soliciting for a mechanic closer to your location.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

So I guess the purpose of the original post is to let us know you already dropped it off to a mechanic 25 miles away but also soliciting for a mechanic closer to your location.
I guess so. Wasn't looking to diagnose it myself as much as get some ideas from others on what the problem could be possibly. One minute it was working great... 10 minutes later no OOOMPH!

My other point is even the Bayliner dealers locally weren't interested in servicing the boat. 2 dealers flat out told me they would not work on it. The third dealer, where I left it, said at minimum they would diagnose the problem and let me know if they could fix it or if I would be charged the diagnosing charge and asked to pick up my boat.

I will be more thorough in describing my problem and what I have done myself in the future.

Since the dealers weren't interested in repairing my boat, I was also soliciting some input on a local mechanic who someone might know would work on it. I know that was a long-shot, but I had to ask.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Call the dealer and ask him to take 5 min and do a comp/spark test.
Every place I've worked would do that much.They might do it??

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

congrats for having had the motor for 28 yrs and only having had a few problems..wish l was that lucky...
as you've found very few repair joints will work on donks that age, regardless of brand, it may be time to buy a manual and a few basic tools...comp tester, spark tester, multimeter etc etc..and have some 'fun!'

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

congrats for having had the motor for 28 yrs and only having had a few problems..wish l was that lucky...
as you've found very few repair joints will work on donks that age, regardless of brand, it may be time to buy a manual and a few basic tools...comp tester, spark tester, multimeter etc etc..and have some 'fun!'
I have the manual. Just not the expertise to do a lot myself.

Turns out the head gasket was blown. Water was getting into the number 2 cylinder.

When the marine dealer did the initial pressure tests --- cylinders 1 and 3 were around 140+. The middle cylinder was around 95. The dealer also performed all the necessary tests for the electrical system and found no problems.

He ordered the parts (from Iboats it turns out) and they received them in 4 to 5 days. He installed and tested. Pressure was now 140+ on all cylinders. They did all the tests they could but of course not the same thing as me running it full throttle on the lake. I picked it up and took the boat out for a short 20 minute adventure (it was overcast and rainy). It seems fine.

$48 for the head gasket. $150 for labor. Total charge was around $207. This included all the testing they did to diagnose and repair.

I bought brand new so I have owned for 28 years. It runs great normally. In those 28 years, this is only the second MAJOR problem I have had with this engine. The first was a coil (hope I am using the right word) that controlled spark to one of the cylinders. The only other problem I have had in all that time was a o-ring going bad in the fuel line. Because of the bad o-ring, I was sucking air into the fuel line when I tried to go fast, the boat would stutter and vibrate -- when I went slow, it was fine.

Since I live in Ohio and don't really use this boat much, I cannot justify buying a new one. For what I need, the boat has been fine.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry to be confusing. I was wondering if anyone knew a good mechanic closer for my future needs. I noticed on Craigslist someone advertising to work on outboards.

I guess 25 miles is not that far to drive when you need something repaired. Especially when you consider this is only the 2nd major repair for me (1st was a bad coil - hope I am using the correct word) in 28 years.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

that is a really good price to fix that :)

Jiggz

Captain

I agree. That is a very good price for that kind of repair and diagnosis. With the right maintenance, I will not be surprise that the engine might outlast the boat hull or transom! LOL.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

Some people asked for pictures... so here they are.... CLICK HERE

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Good looking boat.Amazing what keeping it inside will do for the upholstery.

KnarfOH

Seaman Apprentice

Good looking boat.Amazing what keeping it inside will do for the upholstery.
Not a tear or crack AFTER 28 years in the upholstery. You are absolutely correct.

People who have toys or gizmos, i.e. boats, motorcycles, pop-up campers, lawn mowers, jet skis, etc, would be amazed how good something will look if you can JUST KEEP IT OUT OF THE SUN and a lesser extent HEAT when not in use.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

my brother has a later model bayliner and his one don't look as neat as that..though he did go to the dark side and buy a mercruiser model
l might just show him your pics and ask him what happened to his..
LOL