1974 75HP Chrysler Lower unit leaking around the 2 piece split!!

fcross69

Seaman Apprentice
I changed lower units this weekend from a 75HP lower unit to a 105hp lower unit and it worked great. But now where the 2 piece split is I am leaking lower unit oil. I have no water in my lower unit at all but not liking the small puddle I found on my garage floor leaked about enough oil to fill a soda bottle lid not even once but still leaking. Never split one of these apart and was wondering what the easy way is. Look for the cheap quick fix( ain't we all) was wondering if black RTV would work??? But I sure was impressed bye the gear ratio change though boat came to life. Rember this is a 105HP lower unit 2 to 1 ratio. Thanks
100_3357.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 75HP Chrysler Lower unit leaking around the 2 piece split!!

There is an o-ring/seal in there.
Get a parts diagram.
It's possible the screws/nuts just need tightening.
Just flip the o-ring/seal??
It's not that hard to reseal.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Depending upon the age of the lower unit it will either be a 2 bolt or 3 bolt gearcase. Using the three bolt as an example: there are three long studs running from the gearcase to the top of the midunit: One at the point and two behind the water pump. The front one runs through a hole in the point of the leg with a 3/8 nut and washer on top. the rear two run through the oil chamber and in addition to the nut the one nearest the water pump has a sealing O-ring and a heavy washer.

Remove all three nuts and washers and the gearcase should (with a little tapping) come down. The gearcase has a milled groove and large O-ring to seal it. It also has a locating bushing and sealing O-ring at the front stud.

Clean everything well and coat with non-hardening Permatex or silicone RTV and reassemble. If the gearcase appears corroded at the sealing surfaces do NOT sand down to clean metal. The relation of gearcase to midleg sets the pinion gear lash. Changing this dimension will grind off the gear teeth in some period of time depending upon how much metal was removed.

Until you get the other gearcase assembled, clean well then coat the crack between the gearcase and midunit with Permatex. Very temporary stopgap, not to be considered permanent.

2 to 1 ratio should have given a 3-5 MPH (perhaps if lucky, even as much as 8 MPH) increase in top speed.

Later, if you get flush with cash or really ambitious, set the powerhead on a 1979 or later one piece midleg and lower. You can use all your cowls and hardware but the one piece has better prop selection and will give 1-3 MPH more than the 2 piece.

fcross69

Seaman Apprentice

The new lower end brought my boat to life I went from 22 mph with 6 people to 31mph and from 32 by myself to 37mph turning the rpm's hard going to mess with this lower unit tonight then go back after a pitch change I am currently running a 13 by 15 going to goto a 13 by 17 should put my rpm's right in the sweet spot and give me 1 or 2 more mph I hope thanks for all your help.

fcross69

Seaman Apprentice

Found that is was a 3 studded unit and 2 nuts were 1 turn loose and an other 3/4 turn I bought new nylocks retorqued lower unit pressure tested it good then let it sit full over night no leaks at all just came in from shop finished putting it back on. Heading to Gulf Shores Friday with it I am bring the old lower unit that I replace the gear pack in which I got from Frank the Fleet Admiral as a spair it may be slower but good to have back up over 900 miles away from home.