1988 50hp engine rebore/ wiseco pistons installation tips/machining tip

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am reboring my 88 50hp after a broken ring scored a cylinder. Do any of you have experience or insight using wiseco pistons? Have you had luck with them? The prices are as good or better than oem cast and appear better made. Is there anything I should tell the machine shop such as leave .002 in the rebore for honing/break in? Any advise and input good or bad with your wiseco rebuilds is appreciated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 50hp engine rebore/ wiseco pistons installation tips/machining tip

The shop should know the clearance.
Wiseco is a good bet.
They are easier to install as they don't need the wrist pin to be pressed in.
If you have the pistons take it with you to the machine shop.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Tell the shop to bore and hone to EXACT oversize- .010to .030 (plus or minus a couple of .0001 tolerance). example: if your stock bore is 3.375 and you need a .030 overbore, finish hone to 3.405. Wiseco pistons are manufactured with the correct clearance for exact bore sizes.

Ignore the warning to provide extra clearance--this is for racing only. I use Wiseco exclusively on my engines. They are forged, which is stronger than stock. They are easier to assemble, and they come complete with wrist pins and rings.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used Wiseco pistons for years in Kart racing and motocross, never had a problem. I think their quality is tops. Wouldn't hesitate to put them in my Force.