125 Force Ignition Question

hunter9999

Cadet
Hi all

Having a little problem with my outboard.
I was out at the lake running along just fine then it started missing really bad then died....So tried to start but it won't, so started my way back to shore with the oars and trolling motor......about half way there I tried again and it fired up still missing really badly but got us back to the dock and up on the trailer.

Sooo opened it up and found there was a very weak spark on number on number 4.. soooo swaped coils and it started working so I said great I'll order a coil..4 days later get a coil in the mail and install it....Well still a very weak spark on 4 and I am beside myself trying to figure it out.

So so far I have

Swaped the new coil up and it fires great when it is in number 3 place...
Checked the compression just for fun it is 155 psi on all...
So here is were it gets weird so I swaped CDI boxes and bamm 4 is a good strong spark and number 2 is weak, but number 4 is still not combusting I can unplug it and no change (while the CDI boxes are swiched and only running on 2 cyl) So to me I seemed the timing was screwed up on 4 cause I have fuel (plug was wet) and good compression.

So I checked the Trigger 56ohms on all and check the Stator ohms are right.

So I am a little bit stumped maybe you guys can shed some light on the subject

Thanks In advance

Hunter

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 Force Ignition Question

You need to check the stator voltage output.
Need a peak reading meter.
Or an DVA attachment for your analog meter.

Before you change anything:replace ALLLLL the electrical connectors,stator,trigger and packs.
Lots of time the connection fails and it looks good but isin't.
If it's acting that way I'd guess it the stator.J

Jiggz

Captain

Go with Jerry's recommendation first and then if the problem persists, you need to do a visual inspection of both the stator and the trigger. Voltage output off the stator is very important. Make sure you are at least getting 180VAC~200VAC from each of the blue and yellow sets of wires. Check the trigger voltage and this is between 0.5Vac to 5Vac on each pair of wires (gr-or; rd-wh/gr) on each module.

hunter9999

Cadet

Ok I have gone through the steps you guys suggested and the stator was good and one of the cd box was bad from what I could tell...

So I ended up buying a complete freshwater ignition set with about 300 hours on it, stator, trigger, starter, coils, cd boxs, and all wiring, for 2 hundred bucks and (guy said the motor was run without oil) gave me a 30 day warranty can't beat that.
So installed it I have good strong sparks on all cylinders everything works perfectly except I have no combustion on 4.....

So I have checked compression which is right at 150psi, the plug is wet, and I have a strong spark when I test it,

So anybody have any ideas?

Thanks Hunter

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

plug.jpg

Any water in #4 or on the plug?
Start it and while it's running pull the plug wire.
See if it makes a difference.
Than swap the coil around.
The ground might be loose too.J

Jiggz

Captain

It could be a reed valve problem on #4 that is causing the non-combustion or the seal between cylinders. Although you may be getting good compression, if there is no fresh fuel-air mixture introduce into the cylinder there will be no combustion.

Nordin

Commander

Sounds like you have a broken reedvalvepedal at #4. If spark and compresson on #4 but no combustion a reed might be broken. If you don`t get any vaccum in that cyl. then you don`t get any fuel.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Broken reed would push gas back out the carb.Any problem there?

hunter9999

Cadet

Ok so reed valves are good for sure check them all then decided to swap them, no difference.
And I have started it and when you unplug number 4 there is no difference.
No water on plug 4. (the motor was just rebuilt)
And super strong spark and the ignition system is from a running motor.
Compression 155psi on 4 and very close on the others
Ok so what are cylinder drain reeds on the side of the motor for? problem perhaps?

Thanks Hunter

Jiggz

Captain

The drain reeds are for unburned fuel recirculation or recovery system. The purpose is to recycle the unburned fuel back to the intakes. If this is bad it could also cause lack of fresh air-fuel into the said cylinder.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Have you tried changing the spark plug? Seems like everything else checks out.