'68 Chrysler Shift Cable Install question along w/ tower arm out of adjustment

robrileyw

Cadet
Hi to all on this forum, I have a 1968 Chrysler 55hp that recently needed a new shift control cable. The guy who was supposed to install couldn't get to it for another week but already took out the old shift cable w/o remembering how things came apart....My questions to all are below:

1) Should the shift cable connection inside the control box look like how i installed it (connected through left hole closest to the motor) or should the plate the connection runs through be flipped so the connection would be on the right hole farther from the engine???

2) Why is it that my tower arm (specifically the idle adjustment screw) doesn't retract all the way back so the idle screw touches the block (there's constantly a gap between the idle adjustment screw and the block, which I feel isn't right).....it's been like this I believe since I owned it which has contributed to the motor jolting into gear w/ a bit higher rpms than I think it should have while going into gear....If anyone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it..

3) Does the shift control connection at the motor look fine?...The little metal flap that catches the groove in the shift cable could've been w/ the screw on the bottom (flipped upside down)....the way I have it on there right now is w/ the screw on the top of the shift control cable..hopefully someone else w/ an old Chrysler would know what is the correct way up or down ??

4) The shift cable connection at the end, I was just wondering if this looks like about where it should be for how much thread is left on the cable....If anyone has any pictures of there's I would really appreciate it.

Please look at all the photos below and tell me what you think to each question (especially you chrysler owners!)...I've been holding off on doing these small adjustments for a few weeks now and really want to get out on the water, Thanks to any questions answered!

Attachments

• DSC00788.jpg
    DSC00788.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00791.jpg
    DSC00791.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00789.jpg
    DSC00789.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00794.jpg
    DSC00794.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: '68 Chrysler Shift Cable Install question along w/ tower arm out of adjustment

102_6471.jpg

Your shift cable connection appears to be OK since the control box is in neutral and it looks like the shift arm is in neutral also.

Your toer does not retract because the quick connect at the engine is not pulled out enough. That large connection is spring loaded and the smaller diameter that screws onto the cable pulls out. It should be protruding about another 3/16 to 1/4 inch. Screw the quick connect further onto the cable. If you can not get enough there, screw in the end inside the control box.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: '68 Chrysler Shift Cable Install question along w/ tower arm out of adjustment

My 1970 35 HP Chrysler is related to your 55 HP except for cyl bore and stroke. This is what my setup looks like but my control box is different.

Attachments

• 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage.JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage (2).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage (2).JPG
    100 KB · Views: 1
  • 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage (4).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage (4).JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1

robrileyw

Cadet

View attachment 160969

Your shift cable connection appears to be OK since the control box is in neutral and it looks like the shift arm is in neutral also.

Your toer does not retract because the quick connect at the engine is not pulled out enough. That large connection is spring loaded and the smaller diameter that screws onto the cable pulls out. It should be protruding about another 3/16 to 1/4 inch. Screw the quick connect further onto the cable. If you can not get enough there, screw in the end inside the control box.

Thanks for the quick response!...Ok, so as far as the tower not retracting back, you're saying it's because of the spring loaded quick connection on the throttle cable correct?...So if I screw the connection tighter onto the throttle cable threads it should protrude more therefore causing the arm to retract back to the block, correct? My question to you is will this adjustment on the throttle cable affect the timing in any way? I'm ok with making minor adjustments but trying to stay away from altering the advance timing and all that, which I know nothing about. Thanks for your feedback and look forward to hearing further input.

robrileyw

Cadet

My 1970 35 HP Chrysler is related to your 55 HP except for cyl bore and stroke. This is what my setup looks like but my control box is different.

Thanks for the pictures on your motor, it does look exactly like mine. I have a couple questions towards your pictures...I see that in the first picture that your shift arm is down in forward BUT at the carburetor it doesn't appear that the roller on the throttle cam has moved much, if at all, while it looks like its just going into forward gear...I'm pretty sure my carb rolls a good distance along the throttle cam before it gets to the point it shifts into forward gear.

Also, could you send me another picture of maybe inside your control box and possibly the quick connect on the shift cable towards the back....I really appreciate all the pics and input you've provided me so far as my manual doesn't hit on any of these key adjustments. I look forward to hearing your input and pictures, Thanks!

wickware

Lieutenant

The past pics in the middle and maybe the right side pic appear to be the only one slightly accelerated. The other is in the neutral position from looking at the ?Black? neutral switch, the center button is compresses and it w/n start there.

New pics are close to wide open throttle (WOT) and different control box. I?ll wait about: 20 minutes for any new info, otherwise I?ll check the board about 9 AM in the morning.

Attachments

• Boat's 35 HP Control's in Reverse Position.JPG
    Boat's 35 HP Control's in Reverse Position.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Cleaning, Inspecting, Greasing Gear Control Box & Motor Supports, 70, 35HP, Chrysler (2).JPG
    Cleaning, Inspecting, Greasing Gear Control Box & Motor Supports, 70, 35HP, Chrysler (2).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (8).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (8).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (.JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1

robrileyw

Cadet

The past pics in the middle and maybe the right side pic appear to be the only one slightly accelerated. The other is in the neutral position from looking at the “Black” neutral switch, the center button is compresses and it w/n start there.

New pics are close to wide open throttle (WOT) and different control box. I’ll wait about: 20 minutes for any new info, otherwise I’ll check the board about 9 AM in the morning.

These pictures are great! I now notice on my throttle cable spring connection that it needs to be tightened down so my tower arm can return back. I will make the adjustments in the next few days and let you know if i have any other questions, I appreciate all the pictures and helpful info.

wickware

Lieutenant

Two things crossed my mind in this matter from my experimenting.

1. The tower or neutral switch pivot arm (?) had a spacer or washer that had fallen (un-noticed) that was causing some play or binding. This was detected when I was cleaning the engine and the paint showed something was missing. Old wear marks and paint marks can be helpful with realigning and positioning parts.

2. My neutral switch was off at one time w/o remembering why. If you have trouble starting (in neutral required), look to see the button is pressed in by the arm. It just crossed my mind that once the engine starts, it will take the ignition switch to kill the engine due to it running while going from reverse to forward.

Good Luck! I?ll watch for any new posts or Pic request. I have a ton on general maintenance Pics since about 04.