1988 Bayliner 1900 with Force 125 HP - How does the trim work?

oavila88

Cadet
I'm new to boating. I have read some of the threads on trim/tilt. I have issue swith the engine not staying up but slowly coming down. (1) When operating the boat, how do I trim the engine? I have a tilt switch for up/down on the dash. Should I be able to us that switch to trim the engine while the boat is running? It seem to work only when in neutral.
(2) I noticed that the drain plug to the trim/tilt motor does not tighten all the way. it goes in ok, but it spins when all the way in. Is that normal? Should I be able to tighten it like a car oil plug?

Thanks.

brinker232

Seaman
Re: 1988 Bayliner 1900 with Force 125 HP - How does the trim work?

If the o-rings in the Tilt/Trim Pump are so worn out that the motor will not stay up on it's own, it will have a hard time raising the motor when it is in gear due to the force of the motor. I have the same issue with my Force 150 but I can still adjust it while in gear, just have to keep adjusting it, lol. I plan on replacing the o-rings this winter, just don't want to open a can of works in the middle of the season!! I have a thread with basically the same question on here and I received some good info on it. Here is the link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=565023

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Drifting down? Usually the hydrolic motor needs a rebuild.
The fill plug shouldn't turn and turn.It should bottom out.
If you can't trim up it could be low on fluid??
But if the screw won't seal it can be leaking out or getting water in.
To operate the trim(working trim motor).
Motor in the full down position,then speed up getting on plane.
As you speed up(on plane) hit the trim up switch and slowly bring it up.
The nose will lift and the faster you go the more you can trim up.
While running full tilt,you should be able to trim all the way up.
When turning you might need to lower the drive to help power through.

RRitt

Captain

it's the valve body.

if you can wait for offseason and are a meticously careful type mechanic then the briggs carb kits will fix it for about $10. There are threads on this forum. I rebuild them for about $70 give or take depending on version but I'm in no rush to work 12 hours days and you won't get it back for a couple weeks. You can buy emergency replacements off ebay for $80-$150 but they are total cr@p and don't expect them to work or last much better than that $19 drill you bought at harbor freight. A company in north carolina called ebasic power used to sell a higher quallity pump for $250 that would qualify as a permanent fix.

the filler plug should only be finger tight on 1972-1992 chrysler force. it spins because somebody overtightened it and stripped the threads. When you take the valve body off for repair, thread it for 1/8" pipe or 7/16" machine and install an appropriate plug with Buna70 oring. oh, and only tighten it fingertight.

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You don't happen to have the carb kit # handy do you?