Converted 3 wire trim to 2 wire trim on 1987 bayliner force 125. Won't work, help !!

mecjr22

Recruit
I have a 1987 bayliner with a force 125. I recently replaced my tilt/trim motor with a 2w motor. The 87 bayliner had an original 3w motor that had no relays it was a direct wire to the switch. I bought the conversion kit for changing a 3 wire to a 2 wire and hooked it up and nothing works.

This is what I have: Green wire from motor connected to large green wire that goes to relay. Blue wire from motor connected to large blue wire that goes to relay. From the relay the black wire (ground) is hooked up to negative terminal on battery. Red wire from relay (connected to fuse) is hooked up to positive terminal on battery. Small blue wire is connected to blue wire from trim/tilt switch. Small green wire is connected to green wire from trim/tilt switch. Red wire from switch (i believe is ground wire) is connect to negative terminal like is was with old system hooked up.

Old system had 3 wire from the motor. One hooked up to the positive terminal on the battery and the green and blue wire connect to the green and blue wires coming from the tilt/trim switch. The red wire coming from the trim/tilt switch connect to the negative battery terminal. I was thinking that maybe the red wire from switch is causing the problems with the new system, but I am not sure. I am pretty new to anything with electronics. I have searched and searched for some answers but have been unable to find any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Converted 3 wire trim to 2 wire trim on 1987 bayliner force 125. Won't work, hel

run your switch wires back to engine. install relay harness using old motor wires as your control. pull power for circuit breaker off starter.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converted 3 wire trim to 2 wire trim on 1987 bayliner force 125. Won't work, hel

You have no power at the switch. The small red wire goes from a positive 12 volt source to the center terminal on the switch.

mecjr22

Recruit

The previous red wire on the switch was a ground wire. If I hook it up to a power source it sparks. I hooked up the power wire from the relay harness to the starter solenoid and the black ground wire from the relay harness to the starter solenoid and the tilt/trim motor works. However it also makes the starter spin at the same time. The starter doesn't engage but spins. I tried to move the ground wire elsewhere but the trim motor wouldn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure the starter doesn't engage.

mecjr22

Recruit

Frank, right now I unhooked the red wire from the switch. The switch now has the blue and green to it and it will work like I mentioned above, but with the starter spinning.

Rritt, I am confused about what you are saying with pulling the power for the circuit breaker off the starter. What will that do?

tustin77

Cadet

to get power to the relays jump it from the breaker is what hes tring to say i think.

thats how mine is ran and i have force 85, by the way rritt it was breaker not relays

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_6933.jpg104_6932.jpg

Whoa!

Power for the relays is derived through four red wires: Two heavy ones siamesed for motor power and two light ones siamesed for signal power. This power is taken from the BATTERY side of the solenoid and will either go directly to the relays as shown in the second photo or will go to a circuit breaker and then to the relays. Note the white electrical zip tie pointing to the battery side. Note the plus marks on the battery cable.

Ground wires are similarly four black wires siamesed like the red wires and invariably are attached to the block along with the battery ground as shown in the first photo.

Hmmm--how did the forum transpose the photos?

At the dash, the center terminal of the switch has a red wire attached to it. Since this wire is power for signal only and does not have a lot of amps, it can be attached directly to the "B" battery terminal of the ignition switch. You can also fuse it if you wish.

Upper terminal of the tilt switch is green signal wire and bottom terminal is blue.

mecjr22

Recruit

Thanks Frank for the help, you got me looking in the right direction.

Here is what I figured out with the help from the responses.

It was all very simple in the end, I just ended up with one wire (red from the the switch hooked up to the negative battery terminal) Must have happened some time last year when the 3w motor was taken out. The wiring on the boat has a lot of a few red wires going to both sides of the battery terminals so one must have gotten flip flopped. Once i placed that wire on the positive terminal of the battery all was good. However, I still had the wires hooked up to the starter solenoid like the harness instructions said and grounded to the motor like your showed me Frank and there was little power on the way up (must have a weak battery)

To fix this I hooked up the wires like they used to be on the old 3w motor directly to the battery terminals and it works fast in both directions. Didn't realize that cutting the distance in the wires a few feet would make that much difference. Maybe it is just the direct hook up to the battery that made the difference.

Well thanks everyone for the help.