Opinion Seeking - Swap-out 90HP Force Powerhead

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinion Seeking - Swap-out 90HP Force Powerhead

The engine block will bolt up, however, if it has Merc controls and ignition while the 91 does not, then you need to do some modifications.

So are you saying that the ignition wiring and control arm wiring would need to be altered?

Is it just wiring and what needs to be swapped?

I have a 1990 90 HP Force outboard and just rebuilt the powerhead, took it out 4 times and 2 miles from the boat ramp, it ****s the bed and we did all we could to get back to shore. So... after tons of money, I found a 1993 90 HP Force powerhead 2 hours of a drive away for $325.00 and I gotta call the guy tomorrow around lunch to schedule to take the drive tomorrow night. Since I joined here I have found great knowledge and great people. In deep contemplation, I thought to ask the experts, so here I am. I am so grateful for the opinions and advice. I hope when I get this nightmare behind me, I can come here and help others with knowledge I may have to offer on topics. Thank you and again grateful for this forum

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The problem is I am not sure exactly when Merc changed the controls. See, I don't pay attention to exact years and their differences. It is the kind of thing I deal with if it comes up.

If the new block looks exactly like yours, it will swap in.

The problem is I am not sure exactly when Merc changed the controls. See, I don't pay attention to exact years and their differences. It is the kind of thing I deal with if it comes up.

If the new block looks exactly like yours, it will swap in.

:D Thank you Frank Acampora.