Force 125... Burned the starter up

luc3611

Recruit
Hey guys,
Im kinda new to the boat world and have a few questions. I have a 1986 Force 1251X6A and last weekend I took the boat out and was having trouble starting it sometimes. I didn't know till after cranking a bunch of times and took the cover off that the red lead wire cable that goes to the starter wasn't tight. I will add some pictures. My questions are

1. is it even possible to rebuild the starter? I assume not
2. I found a new one on amazon for $55. The normal price for a new one is like 150-200 is the $55 one a waste of money?
3. Can i still use the melted red lead wire cable? If not where can I get a new one besides ebay?

Thanks so much guys!

salmonslammer

Seaman
Re: Force 125... Burned the starter up

I've had mine rebuilt twice... ran me about 50 bucks.

Not sure about the amazon one... might want to post a link. I'd try the rebuild first if it was me.

Cable needs to be replaced. You can buy some by the foot and crimp the ends on yourself.

salmonslammer

Seaman

Wow!

After seeing the pics... that might be beyond a rebuild!

Looks like it was in a campfire for a half hour.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That one is pretty bad but you might be able to clean it.
You have a sandblaster?
The rebuild kit is about $20 get the FACTORY stuff or you will be doing it again soon.
Any auto parts store has short cables.Get new.
Or like someone said make your own.

The $55 starters are junk!!
I rebuild my own.
Only use good stuff.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Lower # the better.4 is the lowest I'd use.
That starter will fit. It might last 1 week or 5 years.

Jiggz

Captain

I wouldn't waste time trying to rebuild that burnt starter. Instead I would gamble my $50 for the Amazon for now. As for the cable, you can easily make one or buy one from auto stores. Some will even make it for you for the length you need. If there is enough length on the remaining cable, just cut it off and then buy a new terminal at Ace Hardware and crimp it.