1985 85hp force water pump problem

jeremy217

Recruit
I have a 1985 85hp that im having issues with, at a idle and low speed 10mph or under I have water spitting out of the back 2 holes, over 10mph it stops pumping, I changed impeller and still doing it, I did notice some pitting in the houseing and some grooves wore in the top of it, could this be my problem? or do I need to look at something else. Thanks

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1985 85hp force water pump problem

i had the exact same issue with my 1985 - no water when going a little faster - Previous owner changed the pump and impeller in 2000 - so i knew it was due. I went a head and did the whole pump kit and it fixed my issue.

foodfisher

Captain

The back two holes are for relieving exhaust pressure at idle, so they will spit. That's their job. Underway the back pressure is relieved and the exhaust exits under the water line/level and no more spitting from the two holes. Add a telltale and quit worrying. Pitting and grooves could be problematic if the telltale quits "peeing", or you have water in the lower unit oil.

jeremy217

Recruit

In boat motor dumb as to some extent, what do you mean by telltale? And i under stand the holes are to relieve pressure but everyboat ive ever had always had water come out of the two holes and i was always told it was bad if water wasnt comming out of them

jkoppe73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

See the FAQ sticky at the top of the Force forum on adding a telltale, it's a water line that when added will shoot a stream of water so you can see that the pump is actually working. As far as the two relief holes, what foofisher stated, that is normal for these engines. Search "telltales" in this forum, you should come up with some pictures from other posts.

jeremy217

Recruit

Wow thanks guys for all the help, spent about 20mins and installed a telltail and worked awesome, spent about 1hr on the lake and never overheated and blew water out all the time. You guys saved me.