Help with 90hp Force bogging after rest?

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I am on my first season with a 1993 90 hp Force 2-stroke outboard and I can't seem to solve an issue with engine bogging down when trying to get up on plane. This only happens after the engine has been running for a while and then is turned off for at least a few minutes. Then when I restart the engine it turns over fine, but when I push the throttle to get up on the plane the engine immediately stalls (this happens ~65% of the time). After idling at trolling speed for a few minutes I am eventually able to get up on plane. Also, recently I have been able to prevent the stalling by choking the engine as it starts to stall (a suggestion from a buddy). This would lead me to believe its a fuel starvation issue, but I am wondering if there could be a vapor lock issue instead with the carbs? To date this year I have replaced the fuel filter, all fuel lines/bulb, spark plugs, battery, adjusted timing, and even a broken fuel transfer port. Any suggestions on what might be the problem or ways to solve it would be appreciated!

thanks,
Mitch B.

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help with 90hp Force bogging after rest?

Anyone? I've done some searches but didn't find anything that useful as there were such a wide range of problems/solutions.

zaxblue

Cadet

Have you had any luck with this yet? This is the first post I've come across that explains my problem exactly. I mean exactly.

okbayliner

Seaman Apprentice

had the same problem mine was fuel pump

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you had any luck with this yet? This is the first post I've come across that explains my problem exactly. I mean exactly.

No I haven't fixed it yet because I have been tackling other issues with the boat. It is more of an annoyance at this point as it hasn't left me stranded...yet. One thing that I do to get around the bogging is I choke the engine a few times when it starts to bog.....more times than not I am able to get up on plane.

had the same problem mine was fuel pump

What did you replace on the fuel pump? Was it just the diaphragm and gaskets?

okbayliner

Seaman Apprentice

sorry about that it was very vague. yes replaced diaphragm and gaskets

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry about that it was very vague. yes replaced diaphragm and gaskets

I have been meaning to give that a try.....going to a kit this week and will report back. Does anyone know which fuel pump kit I need?

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: I ordered a fuel pump and thermostat kit online and installed them this week. I ran the boat both days this weekend and still had the engine bogging issues, so it wasn't the fuel pump. The boat actually started to run rougher as well....we were doing alot of stops/starts as we were chasing bonito and little tunny (albies). The boat became more difficult to start and would stall at idle frequently....I had to throttle up in nuetral to get it going again. After pulling the boat saturday I cleaned the spark plugs, checked the timing, and tightened the bolts on the fuel pump, however, I ran into the same problems on Sunday. I feel like the problem is in the carbs now.....

emoney

Commander

I don't see where you have cleaned the carbs, so that's what I'd do next. They're pretty easy to pull off, so it shouldn't take long, just make sure you are thorough. Lots of threads around here on carb cleaning and there's even YouTube videos to watch if you have any concerns. While your'e working on it, what type fuel tank are you using, is it a built in or portable? If it's a built-in, you might try and see if the problem replicates while using a portable. That way you can at least rule-out a pick-up screen clogged inside the tank, etc. etc.

mitchbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't see where you have cleaned the carbs, so that's what I'd do next. They're pretty easy to pull off, so it shouldn't take long, just make sure you are thorough. Lots of threads around here on carb cleaning and there's even YouTube videos to watch if you have any concerns. While your'e working on it, what type fuel tank are you using, is it a built in or portable? If it's a built-in, you might try and see if the problem replicates while using a portable. That way you can at least rule-out a pick-up screen clogged inside the tank, etc. etc.

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not cleaned the carbs yet and that is my next task (that I am dreading). I actually have a duel fuel tank setup with a 20 gallon below deck metal tank and a 12 gallon portable poly tank on a splitter. I have replaced all the fuel lines so I know its not a tank/line issue.